U.S. Title: Percy's Ghostly Trick
Air date: December 10th, 1986
Percy is telling Thomas and Toby the story of a ghost train that his driver told him the night before. Percy is afraid to think of it, however Thomas doesn't believe a word and runs off calling Percy a silly little engine. Percy tells his driver that Thomas didn't believe in the ghost and Percy's driver explains that he doesn't either; it was a story on television. Percy can't help but be disappointed.
That evening, after his work at the harbour is done, Percy runs light back to the shed. Percy enjoys running at night and knows exactly where he is despite the dark. What Percy doesn't know is that a broken cart of lime is ahead on the tracks. While Sam the farmer has gone for help, Percy comes down the line and smashes the cart to pieces and the lime completely covers him, who runs to the nearest signal box.
At the signal box, Percy meets Toby and his driver explains to the signalman what happened. The signalman arranges to sort out the hazard on the line, but suggests Percy be cleaned up as he looks like a ghost. This gives Percy an idea to scare Thomas. Toby promises to help.
At the shed, a scared Toby arrives and tells Thomas, who is preparing to take his evening train, that Percy has had an accident. Thomas is concerned for Percy, but also worries that this will make him late. Toby tells him the line has been cleared, but that he thinks he saw Percy's ghost. Thomas is unconcerned and tells Toby not to worry.
However, after this, a ghostly voice comes from outside demanding to be let in. Thomas is frightened as the shed doors open and reveal what appears to be Percy's ghost. Thomas, terrified, quickly runs off to collect Annie and Clarabel.
The next morning, Thomas finally returns and meets Toby at the station. Toby asks what happened and Thomas reveals he slept in the goods shed claiming he didn't want to intrude as Toby would be sad about Percy. However, as he makes his excuse, Percy whistles in the distance and Thomas runs off.
Percy, now cleaned up and none the worse for his adventure, arrives having heard everything. Percy can't help but be pleased as Toby remarks that Thomas is acting as if he had seen a ghost.
Tropes featured in the episode:
- Break the Haughty: Thomas claims that he isn't scared of ghosts, but as he hears Percy's ghostly voice...
- Coincidental Accidental Disguise: Percy gets covered in lime after hitting the cart, making him look like a ghost.
- Digital Destruction: Averted with the restored version. It's daytime towards the beginning, but the restored version makes it look like dusk.
- Gag Echo: One is given at the very end of the episode.
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog:Thomas: Oh, sorry, cant stop! Got to see a coach about a train!
- Karmic Trickster: Percy to Thomas.
- Miles Gloriosus: Thomas.
- Never Say "Die": In part of Percy's trick on Thomas, Toby informs him that Percy had an accident and the worst part is he saw what may be Percy's ghost.
- No Sympathy: When Toby informs Thomas that Percy had an "accident", Thomas simply says "poor engine" in an annoyed and uncaring tone, knowing he'll be late.
- "Psycho" Strings: Used in the Ghost Train's theme, combined with a Drone of Dread.
- Shout-Out: Percy and Toby's exchange at the sheds spoofs The Three Little Pigs.Percy (in a ghostly tone): Peep! Peep! Pip pip pip peep! Let me in. Let me in.
Toby: No, No. Not by the smoke of my chimney-chim-chim.
Percy: I'll chuff and I'll puff and I'll break your door in.