Darwin: Three best friends? Won't that be a bit... weird?
Gumball: It's only weird if we make it weird... Do you find it weird?
Darwin: Not if you don't!
Gumball searches for a third friend to round out his clique, but he and Darwin grow apart when Darwin befriends Tobias.
- Accidental Misnaming: Despite trying to pretend he was his friend, Gumball always gets Alan's name wrong.
- Behind the Black: Darwin sees Gumball in the window, turns around because he assumes it's a reflection, then keeps staring offscreen until Gumball points out that he's outside and Darwin is staring at nothing.
- Blatant Lies: When Darwin wouldn't stop talking about Tobias, Gumball throws food in his face and angrily says it "must have fallen off my fork".
- Bowdlerization: For all the suggestive implications this episode has, Cartoon Network Asia apparently found the scenes of Gumball trying to bribe Tobias into being his third friend objectionable and had them removed from their broadcast.
- A Day in the Limelight: Tobias first one.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: At the beginning of the episode, Gumball and Darwin's discussion, quoted above, about having a 'third best friend' is strongly suggestive of the stereotypical conversation between partners about trying three-way sex or a polyamorous relationship. Their conversation at the end sounds like a couple's rejecting it.
- Establishing Character Moment: Although her role wasn't large, Tina marks her first appearance in this episode which consists of stepping on several students, noticing what she did, wiping off her feet, and continuing on.
- Friction Burn: Gumball goes down a hill on a bike so fast that bike is torn apart and the air friction lights him on fire.
- Gosh Dangit To Heck: Gumball sees he has to pedal up a huge hill and loudly shouts "GOSH DARN IT!"
- Hero Stole My Bike: Inverted as Gumball pays to borrow a bike from Rosie who overcharges him for it. Of course he ends up destroying it anyway.
- The Power of Friendship: Gumball breaks free from a covering of solid concrete using this.Gumball: By the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP!!
- Readings Blew Up the Scale: When speeding past a police car, Gumball is going so fast the car flips over and Donut Cop's radar gun catches on fire.
- Running Gag: Gumball mistaking Alan's name and forgetting that he has no hands.