Harm and Bud investigate the mysterious crash of a Marine helicopter during a traing exercise near Twenty Nine Palms, California. Witnesses claim the helicopter collided with a UFO, but Harm and Bud uncover an installation nearby belonging to the Bradenhurst Corporation that is developing a secret flying device for the U.S. Government. When Harm approaches the installation, he encounters potentially lethal opposition to his inquiry from shady security official Clark Palmer of the Defense Security Division.In the meantime, Mac is offered a position as an associate at the civilian law firm in Washington DC where her boyfriend Dalton Lowne is a partner, and shocks everyone back at JAG when she submits her resignation.
"Impact" contains examples of the following tropes:
- Area51: Although the story is set around Twenty-Nine Palms, California, the secretive Bradenhurst Corporation test area exhibits many subtropes commonly associated with Area 51, such as: use of deadly force authorize signs, armed private security guards, mysterious unidentified aircraft originating from that area, and blanket security cover for the whole operation. And Clark Palmer when interrogating Harm also says:Listen, since when did top secret become everybody's business? Do you have any idea how many nutcases we have trying to break onto this site because they think we have crashed spaceships and aliens on ice out here?
- Covert Group with Mundane Front: The Bradenhurst Corporation officially handles toxic waste near Twenty Nine Palms, CA: but in reality builds UFO-like UAVs for Uncle Sam.
- Government Agency of Fiction: DSD (Defense Security Division).
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right!: When a UFO-like UAV from the Bradenhurst Corporation kills Marines with impunity in an accident, Harm is determined to bring them to justice, no matter what.
- Technology Marches On: When escaping from the Bradenhurst facility, Harm captures a 3.5" floppy disc containing digital photos of the UFO-like UCAV, taken directly out from a digital camera.
As you were...