Tapper and various Smurfs tell Empath of the time when six Smurfs — Hefty, Handy, Brainy, Lazy, Smurfette, and Tapper — were carried away into the volcano and had to escape an eruption by refashioning the village windmill into a primitve helicopter. Basically an adaptation of the cartoon show episode "Never Smurf Off Till Tomorrow".
This story provides the following examples of:
- The Atoner: Lazy, for feeling he has failed his fellow Smurfs.
- Blood Magic: Tapper, filling the place of adult Nat Smurf in this adaptation, protects his fellow Smurfs from the sharks by "pleading the blood of Jesus" as a form of protection, which then causes the sharks to swim away. Hefty, being the atheist in the group, dismisses the whole thing as being the same thing Papa Smurf does with his magic.
- Breath Weapon: Lazy weaponizes onion breath in his dream to defeat a plant-like creature attacking the Smurfs.
- Exactly Exty Years Ago: Handy judges from the sides of the volcano that it erupts only every 500 years, which gives Brainy a sense of security until they feel the volcano rumbling beneath them. Handy then makes a bunch of calculations and realizes that the last time the volcano erupted was exactly 500 years ago that day.
- The Great Repair: The six Smurfs trapped in the volcano refashion the broken windmill into a primitive helicopter so that they could escape before it erupts.
- Retcon: Tapper takes the place of the adult Nat Smurf in this adaptation.
- Rousing Speech: Papa Smurf and Duncan McSmurf both give one to get the Smurfs still in the Smurf Village the needed inspiration to get them to repair the S.S. Smurf II to get the ship seaworthy and ready to sail.