- Sub-Zero's ending, specifically when Quan Chi's head rolls right in front of the camera after being blown up by Scorpion.
- Reptile has a fatality in which he gnaws the skin off your head.
- Meat. A skinless living corpse clad only in a thong with a dangling eye and blood oozing everywhere.
- The Game Over sequence. It's not the inevitable impact with the ground. It's the set-up, especially the music, what really drives the point it home. Five seconds of this are more than enough to make you desperate to pop another quarter or to beg the character to just die already. It doesn't help that in the arcade version of the game, the well darkens slightly as the chosen character is fated to make impact unless you pay up.
- This game had a special type of grab called "Bone Breakers", which meant grabbing an opponent's limb and cracking it at the elbow or knee (with the knee being especially gruesome by bending the opponent's knee backwards). Sickening "Crunch!" obligatory, obviously.
Nightmare Fuel / Mortal Kombat 4