- Several of the game's cutscenes are sure to keep you up at night.
- Tourian, lair of the Metroids and Mother Brain, deserves its own section.
- This cutscene plays as you ride the elevator to Tourian, where all the Metroids are lurking for you...
- Upon first exiting Tourian's save room, you find the lifeless corpse of a Space Pirate.
- Tourian's music doesn't help either.
- The final room with Metroids. You get locked in a narrow room, as usual, but no Metroids emerge. You run back and forth, trying to find something, until you decide to drop a bomb. Then... the floor collapses. Twice. And you find yourself in a deep pit full of hungry Metroids...
- The boss fight with Mother Brain. She is giving you a Death Glare the entire time, and shooting her results in her retaliating with an Eye Beam of Doom. Did we mention you're fighting on a tiny block above a pit of lava with Rinkas coming at you every few seconds to knock you off said block?
- The Kiru Giru being suffocated by Tangle Vines in the boss fight just before Ridley's lair. One can hear it trying to get free, but changing color as the vines leech more of its life out...
- The buildup to fighting Ridley. You use the save room right before his arena, kill the door guardian, and... nothing. He's not there. Oh well, at least the door to the item he's guarding is unlocked, so you go in and grab it, and return to Ridley's room. That's when the doors suddenly lock. You panic, even though you know what's going to happen, and yet he still doesn't show up... that is, until you turn around.
- To compound the Jump Scare factor, Ridley lets out the same roar he had from Fusion. You know, the sound clip that was so extremely loud it caused the GBA to start lagging just playing it.
- That sinister jingle that plays when you obtain an Unknown Item. You'd be forgiven for thinking that these artifacts were far worse than what they're eventually revealed to be.
Nightmare Fuel / Metroid: Zero Mission