A teenage boy is in love with a girl he's seen on the bus each day. He finally decides to walk up to her and ask her out. To his surprise, the girl is not actually a girl.
Sazanami Cherry is an Otokonoko Genre manga revolving around a romance between two boys, Kazuhiro and Ren. It, however, is low on fanservice and is mostly fluff with underlying discussions of gender identity sprinkled about.
This manga provides examples of:
- Ambiguous Gender Identity: Ren certainly has numerous signs supporting that he's actually a trans girl, however it isn't directly discussed in the text. He's uncomfortable with his changing body and prefers dressing in a feminine manner.
- Growing Up Sucks: Ren hates the idea of growing more boyish with age.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Ren's boyfriend Kazuhiro takes to his Unsettling Gender Reveal quite easily.
- Transgender: Ren's sister is a trans woman. Not even Ren knew thanks to their age gap.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Ren is depicted as one, though he also has implications of being transgender.