Plain Love (original Japanese tile Jimikoi) is a one-shot manga by Ema Toyama.
It made its debut in Chapter 9.5 of Ema Toyama's other work, Missions of Love, in the Nakayoshi Lovely magazine.
Wakana Nakatani loves plain boys — specifically, Kagano, an aloof, intelligent, but overall "plain boy" in her class. However, she never acts on her feelings, as plain boys typically reject her for "not being their type of girl," as Wakana has "flashy" blond hair.
But after accidentally slipping out her feelings in front of Kagano, it looks like her bad luck with plain boys might be changing...
It was later published as a one-shot compilation named after it along with three other Ema Toyama one-shots: Columbus no Yuutsu (about a girl called Shiono who appears collected and smart, but is actually pretty bad at studies, and what happens when her secret is discovered by her classmate Satou), Mimimoto ni Furu Kimi no Koe and Gojouzaka-san Chi no Kirei na Himitsu.
This one-shot compilation provides examples of:
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Shiono looks like one.
- Curtains Match the Window: Kagano.
- Did I Say That Out Loud?: When Kagano comments on the scent of Wakana's muffler, Wakana accidentally says the word "love," leaving her horrified as she usually gets rejected by her plain boy crushes. Instead, Kagano takes it as a Love Confession and tells her he'll think about it.
- The Ditz/Dumb Blonde: Played with a bit with Wakana. She gets better.
- The Generic Guy: Wakana's type of guy. Wakana's friends attempt to makeover Wakana into a "plain girl" (with braids and glasses) to help her with Kagano, but it doesn't really make much of a difference. But when Kagano finds out Wakana likes him just because he's "plain," he's not so pleased. Wakana, realizing the error in her ways, makes up for it, and they reconcile.
- Genki Girl: Wakana.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Did not like the glasses-wearing girl crushing on Kagano.
- Irony: Wakana likes plain boys because they are plain. Plain boys usually don't like her because she's not their type.
- No Accounting for Taste: Wakana's friends just can't see why Wakana is interested in plain boys, and they aren't sure if Wakana and Kagano are right for each other. And they are hilariously horrified when they discover Wakana had gone back to her original hair color instead of her "flashy" blond hair because of Kagano.
- Satellite Love Interest: Initially Wakana. The only reason she likes Kagano is because he's a "plain boy."
- Smitten Teenage Girl
- Trademark Favourite Food: Shiono's is ramen.