General-purpose home computer systems, and the various systems created for the express purpose of playing electronic games. This includes attachable accessories, such as the Game Genie.
See also How Video Game Specs Work (which includes computer software like DOS, Windows, and UNIX), The History of Video Games for consoles by generation, and the Console Wars, the Computer Wars, and the PC vs. Console Wars for the different battles of each generation.
Virtual Reality systems, both for games and other media, are mirrored in the Virtual Reality Index.
Systems by company:
- Desura (Windows, Mac, Linux)
- DLsite (Windows)
- DSiWare (Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS)
- GOG Dot Com (Windows, Mac)
- PlayStation Network (PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita)
- Steam (Windows, Mac, Linux)
- Virtual Console (Wii, Wii U, Nintendo 3DS)
- WiiWare (Wii)
- Xbox Live (Xbox 360, Xbox One, and formerly the original Xbox)
- Arcade Game
- Cloud Gaming
- Humble Bundle
- Indie Gala
- Indie Royale
- Mainframes and Minicomputers
- SNES CD-ROM (listed here because it was intended as a joint project by Nintendo and Sony)
- Starpath Supercharger
- Super A'Can
- Web Games
- XBAND, an early attempt at remote multiplayer gaming