The trope formerly known as Reality Retcon has been disambiguated due to its unclear definition. You may have been looking for one or more of the following tropes:
- Alternate History: Speculative Fiction genre where one or more historical events occurred differently, which explores the consequences of the alterations.
- Artistic License History: Mistakes or deliberate changes in the portrayal of history.
- Cosmic Retcon: A retcon of earlier events in the continuity is explained as being due to the actions of an In-Universe actor.
- Historical In-Joke: A show references a historical event and provides fictional details to relate it to the show.
- Hollywood History: Deeply embedded perceptions and misconceptions of certain events, time periods, and societies.
- Like Reality Unless Noted: A work's chronology follows real life, except where the work shows that it doesn't.
- Real Event, Fictional Cause: An event from Real Life history is said or shown in a work to have been caused differently.
- Reality Warper: A superhuman character who can alter reality.
- Secret History: A work claims to be set in Real Life, but the viewer never learned of its events because In-Universe actors kept them secret.