Belle frequently holds parties and invites other Disney princesses (and several other female characters) to them. She isn't quite comfortable with several of the princesses, but she invites them anyway. One Christmas party Belle is out and about late at night when she comes across her worse nightmare: she's alone in a room with Aurora, the princess that makes her the most uncomfortable. Bella doesn't have the nerve to leave Aurora alone, especially when she seems so down.
To A Merry Christmas provides examples of:
- Bookworm: Both Aurora and Belle are fond of books. Aurora spent her childhood reading because there's only so much for a child to do alone in the forest.
- Dark Fic: While not quite so dark, it is more mature and melancholy than the original films.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": Aurora doesn't like being called that. She spent sixteen years as "Briar Rose", so her birth name is unnatural to her ear.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Belle finds Aurora drinking alcoholic eggnog alone in the library. Aurora hadn't expected the eggnog to be as strong as she was, but she didn't complain.
- The Insomniac: Aurora isn't much of a sleeper due to her experiences with Maleficent.
- Sex for Solace: Aurora hates sleeping alone so she asks Belle to stay with her. It starts platonic but quickly becomes decidedly less so.
- Stepford Smiler: Aurora has trouble trying to be the picture perfect Princess Classic expected of her.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: Mulan still dresses as a man sometimes because it's safer when crossing the mountains to Belle's castle.
- Slash Fic: It's a bittersweet Belle/Aurora fic.
- Your Cheating Heart: Aurora and Belle are both married but they end up sleeping together. Whether it's a one-night stand or the start of an affair is ambiguous.