Old powers waken. Shadows stir. An age of wonder and terror will soon be upon us, an age for gods and heroes.
The battle at the Tower of Joy has a different conclusion. The son of Prince Rhaegar Targaryen and Lady Lyanna Stark is raised by the last surviving member of the Kingsguard, Ser Arthur Dayne.
This fic provides examples of:
- Adaptation Name Change:
- Jon Snow is named Aemon Targaryen.
- Shaggydog is named Fenrir.
- Adult Fear: Lyanna Stark has to watch helplessly as her newborn son gets taken from her, albeit there being good reasons for it.
- Age Lift: Arya Stark, Myrcella Baratheon, Edric Dayne, and Edric Storm.
- Bond Creatures: Aemon has a pet lemur named Rhaegon. He skinchanges into it on multiple occassions, most notibly when looking for the location of his kidnapped companions.
- Canon Foreigner:
- Rickard Stark, the son of Brandon Stark and Ashara Dayne.
- Artan and Ulrick Spyre, twins from a minor Dornish House.
- Cool Sword: Arthur Dayne's sword, Dawn. Made from a fallen star.
- Death by Adaptation: Stannis Baratheon, Davos Seaworth, and Balon Greyjoy.
- Gender Flip: Robert Arryn is replaced by Alayne Arryn.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Rhaella Targaryen gets in the way of an assassin aiming to kill her son, Viserys. This results in her death.
- Human Sacrifice: Three children's lives where exchanged in a ritual to heal Aemon.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Arthur Dayne sparing Eddard Stark's life causes Eddard to send men after Arthur with the intention of kidnapping Aemon. This leads to the death of Arthur's sister, Ashara.
- Obviously Evil: Ramsay Snow. Depsite never meeting him previously, Samwell Tarly admits to himself that his very presence sets him on edge, and instantly feels the need to get away from him.
- Parental Substitute: Arthur and Ashara Dayne for Aemon Targaryen.
- Pretty Boy: Aemon Targaryen is considered this. Even when he's temporarily dying he's commented on to be beautiful.
- Spared by the Adaptation: Arthur Dayne, Lyanna Stark, Waymar Royce, Lucerys Velaryon, and Maron Greyjoy.
- Taking You with Me: Willam Darry sets off a wildfire explosion at Dragonstone; killing himself along with Stannis Baratheon, and Davos Seaworth.
- Too Dumb to Live: Balon Greyjoy mocks Robert Baratheon on the death of his brother, and the possible return of the Targaryens. Robert in turn kills him with one punch to the face.