The Night War is a Marvel Cinematic Universe fanfic series by praximeter, comprised of The Night War: 60th Anniversary Edition, which is written in the form of the "posthomously" published journals of Bucky Barnes, written he was as a soldier fighting in WWII, as well as a handful of one-shots set years later.
Tropes that appear in this series:
- Dead Guy Junior: Bucky's status notwithstanding, the forward to the fictional memoir is written by Bucky's nephew, Col. James B. Barnes II.
- Deliberate Values Dissonance: While Bucky, like Steve, is very progressive for the time, he still uses some period-typical language that would't fly today.
- No Ending: Bucky's last memoir entry is an incomplete paragraph written before that final fated mission where he goes missing.
- Race Lift: Bucky is Jewish on his mother's side, a common bit of MCU fanon.
- Rank Up: Bucky begins the story a Sergeant, like the movie, and ends up as a Master Sergeant.
- Real Award, Fictional Character: Bucky is awarded the Silver Star during the battle of the Bulge, which is then upgraded for the Medal of Honor. Gabriel Jones is awarded the M.o.H. 50 years later.
- Really Gets Around: Bucky is quite a skirt chaser, reminiscing about past flames in Brooklyn and getting some action during the war.