The London Syndicate is a fanfiction by en verite on Fan Fiction Dot Net featuring Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot and some of his more notable associates as they take on the titular organization. It's told as several short but closely-related short stories. For the most part, it sticks to being an Original Flavor fic which could conceivably have been written by Dame Agatha herself, though as the summary relates, the syndicate is unusually preoccupied with keeping the great detective out of their hair...
This work contains the following tropes:
- Batman Gambit: In The Rival Gang, it turns out that the titular rival gang operating right in Poirot's neighborhood is just a bunch of disguised members of the syndicate there to distract him from their real smuggling operations. They even attack his friend twice to deflect his interest. The gambit fails.
- Berserk Button: If you decide to mess with Hastings, Poirot will not be happy. He even gets into a physical fight during the events of The Rival Gang to try to protect him.
Hastings (addressed to Poirot's kidnappers after rescuing his friend): You have no idea how fortunate you are that my hands are now unable to fasten themselves around your worthless neck!
- As Absent Without Leave shows, these sentiments are reciprocated entirely.
- Even Evil Has Standards: As outlined by Poirot early on, the London Syndicate will not stoop to murder. Anything else is fair game, though.
- [[Spoiler: Officially subverted starting in chapter seven, when Poirot realizes they've been pushed enough to attempt murder]].
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: As in canon, Poirot and Hastings are this. Perhaps a bit closer here than usual.
- Hurt/Comfort Fic: Listed as one. Definitely has its moments, too.
- Unbroken Vigil: Hastings keeps one in the nursing home after Poirot's suicide attempt. Although the latter is not in a coma and the former dozes off occasionally, it still counts.