After the fall of Beacon Yang and Weiss are both isolated from the rest of their team. Yang struggles to cope with her missing arm and emotional trauma, while Weiss faces the cold and treacherous world of Schnee Dust Company while dealing with her own troubles. Yang heads to Atlas to meet Ironwood and get a prosthetic arm, however she ends up tied up in his military along the way.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Weiss' father Jacques is an intimidating, abusive father predominantly towards her and Winter.
- Adaptational Sexuality: Weiss is lesbian and her brief interest in Neptune was a cover.
- All Take and No Give: How Weiss feels about Blake and Yang's relationship, with Blake as the "Taker" and Yang the "Giver". She understands that Yang loves Blake and the feeling may indeed be mutual, but her problem lies with how despite Yang giving Blake so much affection and care, in the end, Blake still threw it away to run off after Beacon's fall. The fact she has her own feelings for Yang that she tried to bury for their sakes does play a bit into it, but Yang herself comes to realize it after a bit of soul-searching and also decides that while she still loves Blake, she would rather be with Weiss, the person who's been trying to help her all this time.
- Alternate Universe Fic: Recovery is a take on RWBY's Volume 4 without insight on the actual volume.
- The Beard: Weiss has only dated boys but isn't interested in them. It's for appearances only. Winter figured this out a long time ago simply by noticing how Weiss would talk about boys while noticing how she would look at attractive girls.
- Eating the Eye Candy: Yang takes the time to appreciate Weiss's legs from her position working under a jeep (not that she realized it was Weiss at the time). Weiss meanwhile has to struggle not to get spell-bound looking at Yang's mix of muscles and womanly curves.
- Holding Hands: When Weiss first grabs onto Yang's hand in the fifth chapter, she goes beet red and lets go a moment later due to being unused to such affectionate gestures.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: This is why Weiss buried her feelings for Yang, both because she saw how happy Yang was with Blake and because she was afraid her father would never let her be with Yang.
- Mental Health Recovery Arc: As the title implies, the story is one for both Yang and Weiss. Yang recovers from her PTSD while Weiss recovers from her loneliness.
- Second Love: Weiss is this for Yang when the blonde brawler comes to terms with both her lingering feelings for Blake and her newly discovered ones for the heiress.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Yang and Weiss spend a lot of the story gawking at each other. After getting over their denial, they both keep mum because they think their feelings are unrequited.