After the fall of Beacon Yang and Weiss are both isolated from the rest of their team. Yang struggles to cope with her missing arm and emotional trauma, while Weiss faces the cold and treacherous world of Schnee Dust Company while dealing with her own troubles. Yang heads to Atlas to meet Ironwood and get a prosthetic arm, however she ends up tied up in his military along the way.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Weiss' father Jacques is an intimidating, abusive father predominantly towards her and Winter.
- Adaptational Sexuality: Weiss is lesbian and her brief interest in Neptune was a cover.
- Alternate Universe Fic: Recovery is a take on RWBY's Volume 4 without insight on the actual volume.
- The Beard: Weiss has only dated boys but isn't interested in them. It's for appearances only.
- Holding Hands: When Weiss first grabs onto Yang's hand in the fifth chapter, she goes beet red and lets go a moment later due to being unused to such affectionate gestures.
- Mental Health Recovery Arc: As the title implies, the story is one for both Yang and Weiss. Yang recovers from her PTSD while Weiss recovers from her loneliness.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Yang and Weiss spend a lot of the story gawking at each other. After getting over their denial, they both keep mum because they think their feelings are unrequited.