The fic is themed around Weiss' family life and her relationship (or lack thereof) with her father. It predates Volume 5 and, as a result, deviates from canon in many regards. Ivory Bones is also a Weiss/Blake fic, but the ship isn't the main theme of the fic.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Weiss' father is emotionally and physically abusive towards her. If it was up to him, she wouldn't have received any affection growing up.
- Bittersweet Ending: The fic ends on a solemn, ambiguous ending where Weiss leaves Blake in the bathroom due to not wanting to confront her feelings for her.
- Dark Fic: Weiss' background is even more abusive than in canon and she's far more troubled.
- Dating What Daddy Hates: Defied. Blake is the very embodiment of what Weiss' father hates. Weiss is attracted to Blake but she doesn't want to drag her into her troubled life.
- Hurt/Comfort Fic: Weiss discusses her abusive home life with Blake and gets comforted by her.
- Every Scar Has a Story: Weiss received her facial scar when she was sparring with her father. He intentionally slashed her across the face to show her that Meekness Is Weakness.
- Missing Mom: There's no mention of Weiss' mother. Due to the story predating Volume 5, it's likely she's dead (as she is in many older fics).
- Parental Neglect: Weiss' father interacts with her in the bare minimum. For the first few years of her life, he barely even did that.
- Slash Fic: It does have a Weiss/Blake element, but this only pops up at the tail-end of the story.
- Trophy Child: Weiss was raised by her father to act as his trophy child.
- Unnamed Parent: Because Jacques wasn't named at the time, Weiss' father isn't named.