It's Hades and Persephone's first anniversary and everything is perfect... at least it is until Persephone discovers Hades has a back-up wife.
This fanfiction contains examples of:
- Anachronism Stew:
- Hades gets drunk on bourbon, an alcoholic drink that did not exist until the 18th century.
- Hades once refers to Demeter as an "interfering old hippie."
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: When Panic recommends to Demeter to call on Hermes to cheer up Persephone, she likes the idea so much that she gives him a great big hug. Since she is a husky goddess and he is a small stick-figure imp, he is not exactly enjoying the hug.
- Drowning My Sorrows: After Persephone leaves for her mothers after the misunderstanding, Hades drowns his sorrows with bourbon. Apparently he is a very volatile drunk.
- Gone Horribly Wrong: While on their anniversary date, Persephone asks Hades what he would do if she were to have died. He then jokingly comments that he has a back-up wife in case such a thing were to happen. Unfortunately she does not seem to think it is so funny, ultimately leading to Minthe's death.
- New Parent Nomenclature Problem: Demeter insists that not just Hades, but also Pain and Panic call her "ma" to solidify their collective role of "family."
- The Pollyanna: Hermes points out that Demeter's overwhelming positivity is an accessory to her and Persephone's turbulent relationship.
- Sorry Ociffer:'Uh..' Pain sounded momentarily distracted as Hades took another swig still focusing bleary-eyed on him. '-don't you think you've had enough?' The words came out before the imp had realised what he'd said. The fiery god flared briefly irritated, unfortunately not enough to sober him up.
'You ' Hades paused briefly then scowled and continued to slur, '-you're not my mother, I'll tell you when I've had enough..' He nodded as though this statement was final and Pain rolled his eyes half-heartedly at his boss' intoxicated words Ohh kay then
- Temporary Substitute: With Panic on the surface with Persephone, Pain is unable to handle the two-person workload. To compensate, Hades gives Neurosis the job. You can imagine how that turns out.
- Whole Plot Reference: To the death of the naiad Minthe and the origins of mint.
- Woman Scorned: Being the Goddess of Marriage, a woman known for being married to a chronic adulterer and Persephone's newest sister-in-law, Hera goes out of her way to advise Persephone when he hears about her marital troubles. Because Hera is known for lashing out at the other parties with Disproportionate Retribution, she advices Persephone to do the same. Since she is known for both of these things, Demeter does everything in her power to try and convince her to tell Persephone (since there was no getting Hera to stay out of it) to simply have Persephone to confront her husband and work it out like a sane couple.