Grief's Reunion is a Zootopia fanfic authored by giftheck. Taking place 18 years after the movie, and 15 years after a huge argument between Nick and Judy that saw Nick leave Zootopia, Nick returns to Zootopia to say goodbye to his dying mother. In the process, Nick encounters the son he never knew was born, leading to a reunion with Judy and efforts o repair their broken relationship.
It can be read on A03 here.
A sequel, Waking Death, was later released, continuing to build on ideas established in Grief's Reunion while introducing a new conflict in the form of hybrid terrorist Michael Clawford and a mysterious drug called the Waking Death.
- Artifact Title
- Artistic License Biology: It isn't possible for rabbits and foxes to mate and produce offspring.
- Bastard Bastard: Nicholas. He is a jerk to both his mother and his father at the start of the story. He was also born out of wedlock.
- Disappeared Dad: Nicholas believes that Nick had abandoned him before he was born. In truth, Nick left Zootopia after learning Judy was going to go behind his back for an abortion. He had no idea Judy opted not to go through with it.
- Easily Overheard Conversation: Nick and Judy's talk after they reunite is overheard by Nicholas. Including the names Nick had called Judy years before.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Nicholas.
- Inspired by...: Grief's Reunion was written in response to I Will Survive
- Interspecies Romance: Nick and Judy had one many years before, resulting in the conception of Nicholas.
- I Should Have Done This Years Ago: Once they see each other face to face for the first time in 15 years, both Nick and Judy acknowledge that they should have talked to each other before things got to the point where they split apart.
- Luke, You Are My Father: After a tussle outside Viola Wilde's home, Nicholas reveals that Nick is his father.
- A Mistake Is Born: Nicholas was an unintended child.
- Never Got to Say Goodbye: Nick's mother dies in her sleep, so nobody got to say their goodbyes.
- Plot-Triggering Death: Though she hadn't yet died at the start of the story, Nick's mother's impending death causes Nick to return to Zootopia.
- Where Did We Go Wrong?: Judy has tried her best to raise Nicholas on her own, but he gets himself into trouble often.