- Finn is home alone one night, and Kurt's new boyfriend, Sam, sneaks into the house; attacking Finn, and raping him in his own bed. Rather than calling the police, or telling someone; Finn goes into denial, washing his sheets to get rid of the blood stains, and pretending that he's fine whenever Sam is invited over for dinner at their place. Burt and Carole notice Finn's discomfort whenever Sam is around, but Burt accuses Finn of being homophobic again.
As per the prompt, Finn is attacked and raped by Sam when Burt and Carole are out on a date, and Kurt is out shopping. He hides it, out of fear for what news getting out will do to the people he cares about - particularly Kurt, after news about the "gay boy" raping an innocent straight kid. No-one notices, except Finn's behaviour becomes angrier and more withdrawn as he struggles to cope with what happened on his own. Eventually, people start to pick up that things are not normal...
Tropes present in this work include:
- Characterization Marches On - this was written before season 2 started, and anyone had any real idea who Sam was. It shows.
- Cross-Referenced Titles: Cross Referencing Chapter Titles: The first chapter is called "The Roses". The final chapter is called "The Thorns."
- Dark Fic - WOULD NOT HAPPEN IN CANON.
- Depraved Homosexual: Discussed/defied; half Finn's reason for keeping it secret is terror about reinforcing this idea.
- Earn Your Happy Ending
- Hilarious in Hindsight - in chapter 10, Rachel uses the phrase "a rose without a thorn" in reference to the whole situation. In 2x01 of Glee, the real character Sam sings "Every Rose Has its Thorn."
- MistakenForHomophobic: Finn, although without knowing what the readers know it's understandable how people would come to that conclusion.
- Papa Bear: Burt chewing Finn out for being disrespectful to Kurt's relationship, and making homophobic comments. Unfortunately, we see it from Finn's POV.
- Will in the final chapter.
- Rape as Drama - the crux of the plot, obviously.
- Tear Jerker - a lot, according to reviewers.
- The Woobie - Finn, obviously.