At the surface, this appears to be a standard Human in Equestria story: a human gets teleported to Equestria and gets turned into a pony. However, there is a twist: he is not alone. His family mysteriously got teleported into Equestria as well, but the protagonist is the only one who has become a pony.
So how does one approach being in Equestria, when their family is along for the ride?
This My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Fan Fic contains examples of the following tropes:
- And Now for Someone Completely Different: The interlude chapters take place from the perspective of a different member of the protagonist's family.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Pinkie Pie somehow knew the "weird monkeys would come and visit eventually, I said 'Hi' and wave to them often enough."
- Embarrassing Nickname: The protagonist's father gives him the nickname Bones, which he immediately tends to dislike. Soon, even Princess Celestia is calling him by that nickname.
- No Name Given: The protagonist is often referred to as Blade Star. Sometimes, he's called Bones. However, the story never gives him his real name. Not even his family members call him by his real name.
- Self-Insert Fic: Completely averted. The author has made very clear that this is not a self-insert, to the point where there is a distinction between Blade Star the author and Blade Star the character.
- Sequelitis: Each of Blade Star's family members gets their own story that follows on from the previous.
- Chapter 28 is entitled "Cupcakes". The protagonist is a brony and he is fully aware of the infamous fanfiction, so he begins to internally panic when Pinkie Pie sends him to the basement of Sugarcube Courner to bring him her special cupcakes, especially after she says Dashie helped her make them.
- The pegasi in Interlude 18 are given radio call-signs beginning 'red' or 'gold'. Lampshaded by Blade Star.Dewdrop: Red eleven, standing by.Lizzie: Red five, standing by.Blade Star: Lock S-foils in attack position.Twilight Sparkle: Blade Star, stop messing around, this is serious.
- Blade Star's father teaches the Princesses and Discord how to play Mornington Crescent.
- In one of the sequel stories Blade Star and his family are subjected to a Nightmare Night prank by a changeling. Hilarious paranoia ensues.Margaret: Ah, that rock twitched! (later on) That fence pole is moving!Blade Star: Don't worry, mum. It's normal to get scared, and a mite paranoid in a situation like this. What's important is to remember is that its all just for fun, and nothing can ITS THE WALL!
- Starting a New Life: Blade Star does this in Equestria. Not even Princess Celestia could immediately send him and his family home.
- Trapped in TV Land:
- The protagonist and his family are trapped in the land of Equestria. To the point of having to live there. For the rest of their lives, apparently.
- At one point, the protagonist visits a certain pony who owns a shop. Turns out that the pony is not only Time Turner but also ''the Doctor himself.'' He tells the protagonist that he can't leave the dimension.