Equestria is barely three years old, and already danger threatens the fragile peace forged between the pony tribes. Monsters stream out of the Forest Ever Free on a daily basis, and now a prophetic dream foretells of even greater chaos that will befall the land.It's up to a team of manly, heroic, eminently bearded (and strangely familiar!) stallions, led by Star Swirl the Bearded, to brave the dark and murky Ever Free in search of their one hope for salvation. Along the way, they'll learn more about the history of the land they've claimed as their own, not to mention each other. But as their unintended friendships grow, the forest will try its best to drive them apart.
Can they withstand the epic trials before them? Can they save Equestria? Will Star Swirl be known forevermore as the creator of the first beard restoring spell? Journey a thousand years into the past and discover Equestria's epicest, beardiest history lesson ever!
This fanfic contains examples of:
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: Happened to King Grundle after gaining enough strength by drinking the blood generously (though reluctantly) offered by Prancebeard.
- Badass Beard: All the heroes, Star Swirl in particular.
- Berserk Button: Never, ever, ever harm Star Swirl's beard if you really value your life. Ever!
- Brave Scot: Applebeard. He lived in a farm in the north, he's a red-head, has a stereotypically Scottish accent and he bravely fights alongside his friends.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Pinkbeard is this big time. He is basically a stallion Pinkie Pie with a beard.
- Dreadful Musician: Prancebeard once tried singing to lift the mood affected by the Marshes of Misery, only to be hushed by Star Swirl, Applebeard and Pinkbeard.Applebeard: Ach, ye've a voice fit t'wake the dead, laddie!
- Friend to All Living Things: Hushbeard, like Fluttershy in the show, takes care of all the animals and some ponies who are injured or ill. He also sees wars as pointless wastes.
- Generation Xerox: Our six bearded heroes seem and act suspiciously like our six young heroines from the show. They are also destined to become friends and save the newly founded Equestria from a threat in the Everfree Forest.
- Gentle Giant: Hushbeard is a large pony and he doesn't hurt even a fly.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Rainbow Beard after seeing the state of Equestria on top of a mountain.
- Spot the Imposter: Applebeard managed to do it against a bunch of changelings by asking the duplicates personal questions to answer correctly.
- The Smart One: Star Swirl The Bearded and Hushbeard are this. Though Applebeard managed to be one during their encounter with the changelings.
- The Unmasking: When Rainbow Beard fell down the cliff, Hushbeard's cloak tore apart revealing his enormous pegasus wings as he flew down to catch his friend.