Poppy: Genesis 1 (or A Poppy Graphic Novel) is a 2019 graphic novel written by Poppy, Titanic Sinclair, and Ryan Cady. The book purports to be the "definitive" origin of the eponymous pop sensation.
The graphic novel was also accompanied with an ambient album I C U (Music to Read To).
The graphic novel provides examples of:
- Ambiguously Evil: The graphic novel leaves Poppy's true intentions rather vague. From what little to go by, Poppy seems to be motivated by just having fun which she does by making videos and singing songs.
- Big Bad: The Factory.
- Deceptively Human Robots: Poppy is explicitly stated to be an android.
- Driven to Suicide: The Church of Poppy that Rami meets end up killing themselves in Poppy's name.
- Foreshadowing: Poppy mentions her former body was a mannequin which she decides to name "Charlotte" after her new friend.
- The director of the factory is nicknamed Skeleton, and when she is found by Rami 10 years later, one of Poppy's friends was a human skeleton.
- Hoist by Her Own Petard: Because of her playing everyone, Dr. Charlotte Hampton is heavily implicated to have her consciousness transferred into a mannequin.
- Karmic Death: The staff in charge of Poppy's upgrade are most likely killed when Poppy detonates the factory.
- Morally Ambiguous Doctorate: Dr. Charlotte Hampton.
- Naked People Are Funny: Poppy momentarily removes her clothes when telling Dr. Charlotte Hampton about wanting to make a video with her.
- New World Order: Agent Spears calls her bosses this.
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog: After everything that Rami had done to get to Poppy, he is distraught that rather than her message being to rebel against the elites through anarchy, Poppy explains that having fun was her main motivation.