"Neon Genesis Impacts" ("Shin Seiki Impacts") is animated short taking place during the events of Rebuild of Evangelion, released at Animator Expo 2015 alongside "until You come to me" and "evangelion: Another Impact - Confidential", created by franchise creator Hideaki Anno and Rebuild producer Nobuo Kawakami.
In the year 2015 AD, living conditions in Tokyo-3 worsen as Angel attacks become more frequent and ferocious. Three young girls, Haruka Ishii, Izumi Taniguchi, and Ayako Matsuzawa, are juniors at Tokyo-3's private Municipal Junior High, and are also a band called Impacts on Nico Nico Douga. But with Ayako moving away from the city to avoid further onslaught from the Angels, the group broke up and released their final song, "A Sentimental Hunch", on Nico Nama (NND's livestreaming service).
Realizing that Izumi would also leave at some point as well, Haruka makes a proposition to Izumi.
And now, another angel is about to wreak havoc on Tokyo-3...
Tropes in this short:
- Crapsaccharine World: It looks like a happy Moe anime about a high school music band, but of course, this being Evangelion, that's not quite the case.
- Downer Ending: Izumi and Ayako are gone, and Haruka is left alone and dies during an Angel attack.
- Genre Shift: Instead of depicting the military science and psychological things going on in the main Evangelion entries, this short depicts girls in a musical group that are all good and happy until things start going downhill in Rebuild, which translate to the end of the joy in Impacts.
- Interquel: The ending where Haruka is alone is heavily suggested to take place during the Zeruel battle, judging by the sound effects.
- Lower-Deck Episode: This short shows a glimpse of civilian life during the events of Rebuild. Heck, the girls even go to the same school as the pilots.
- Meaningful Name: One can interpret the title being "Neon Genesis Impacts" for being how the events of the main series impact the lives of others.
- Unfortunate Names: One must question why they girls named their band 'Impacts', after a catastrophe that killed off half the planet when they were still in diapers.