- Deleted Scene: In a cut scene, the Doctor suggested that the Ice Warriors were unable to fully defeat the Flood and fled the planet as a result, explaining their absence.
- In Memoriam: To long-time Who alum Barry Letts.note
- Orphaned Reference: This story was initially envisaged as a Christmas Special. Several festive references remain, such as the crew on Mars preparing for Christmas dinner, and the snowing when the Doctor arrives back on Earth as he exclaims how he likes snow.
- What Could Have Been:
- Phil Ford envisaged Mars in the adventure as a terraformed planet, with the Bowie base personnel flying great distances to various installations. Russell T. Davies encouraged him to take a much more low-tech approach to the story, with Bowie Base as the rugged first outpost on the untamed Martian frontier.
- Adelaide was originally a Russian named Valentina Kerenski, with Helen Mirren written in mind. Davies feared that this was too similar to Mirren's turn as Tanya Kirbuk in 2010: The Year We Make Contact. She was renamed Grace, then Adelaide.
- The original draft of the script had Adelaide surviving, with the Doctor realising upon seeing Ood Sigma (who arrived straight after he'd declared himself the 'Time Lord Victorious') that he had gone too far.
- Working Title: Christmas On Mars, Red Christmas.
Trivia / Doctor Who S30E16 "The Waters of Mars"