William "Will" Ospreay (born 7 May 1993) is a British professional wrestler known for his appearances with Pro Wrestling Guerilla as well as Progress Wrestling, Rev Pro and other indy wrestling promotions. He is primarily known for his aerial style and is currently one of the rising stars on the independent scene. He has been a PROGRESS Wrestling Champion and a Best of the Super Juniors winner in New Japan Pro Wrestling.
"Aerial Assassin" Tropes:
- Ascended Fanboy: Played up on commentary quite a bit, but he is legitimately a huge fan of many of the people he wrestles, including AJ Styles, Matt Sydal, and Ricochet. He even went as far as call Styles the reason he even got inside a ring in the first place.
- Arch-Enemy: Matt Sydal in Rev Pro, Jimmy Havoc in PROGRESS.
- Face–Heel Double-Turn: After Jimmy reformed himself towards the end of 2016, and asked for Ospreay's help, Will wasn't going to forget Jimmy coming at him with an axe.
- Autobots, Rock Out!: Used "Shoot to Thrill" by AC/DC as entrance music in PROGRESS until his heel turn.
- Evil Former Friend: Paul Robinson serves as this after joining Regression and becoming an out and out psycho.
- The Corrupter: Clearly got in Will's head, and pointed out to him that playing nice had never gotten him anywhere.
- Finishing Move: Ospreay uses a 630 senton and a flipping DDT called The Essex Destroyer. Nowadays, he uses a springboard cutter called the Os Cutter.
- I Have the High Ground: Boy howdy. He's become famous for his high-flying moves.
- Kid Hero: Has wrestled as a Face for most of his career and he's 23 as of 2016.
- Made of Iron: You wouldn't think this due to his size, but Ospreay can take a LOT of punishment and still get back up. He's tanked a Burning Hammer onto a chair from Jimmy Havoc, along with getting hit by Havoc's Finishing Move umpteen times, and still went on to win the match and become champion.
- Power Stable: Is part of CHAOS in New Japan Pro Wrestling.
- Red Baron: The Aerial Assassin.
- Rogues Gallery: In PROGRESS, Ospreay has: Jimmy Havoc, Paul Robinson, Marty Scurll and Zack Gibson (Which possibly brings the other members of Gibson's stable The Origin; Nathan Cruz El Ligero and Dave Mastiff).
- Shout-Out: His nickname and entrance attire is one for Assassin's Creed.
- Spot Monkey: Averted. Despite being primarily known for his aerial attacks, Ospreay combines it with a good knowledge of Wrestling Psychology and grappling ability.
- Take That!: After Vader insulted his matches as being glorified stunts, Ospreay did the Vader Bomb in his next few matches... and never got more than a 1 count off it.note
- Three-Point Landing: At the 2016 Best of the Super Juniors, getting sick of Ricochet doing so, Ospreay took to landing them in the exact same manner at the exact same time to get him to cut it out. This sequence went memetic after someone turned it into a gif.
- Tag Team: With Paul Robinson as the Swords of Essex. Outside of Progress there's more than 2 members, and they've even made their own "British Triangle Championship" to defend against other trios.