Western Animation: Ben 10 Generator Rex Heroes United
An Intercontinuity Crossover
(the second one on Cartoon Network
) between the two Man of Action Studios
series Ben 10: Ultimate Alien
and Generator Rex
that aired November 25, 2011.
A mysterious rift begins to open in the skies of Manhattan. Meanwhile, Rex is sparring against Agent Six
While musing about his need for a "Theme song," they are interrupted and sent to close the rift. Providence appears on the scene to stop the rift, but are unable to do anything before Rex arrives with Six and Bobo
. Doctor Holiday
, then gets a scan that shows something is coming through the rift, and Rex finds himself (unknowingly) fighting against, Ben Tennyson
, in the form as Humongousaur. During their skirmish, a strange metallic creature also appears and heads into the city, with Bobo and Six on it's trail. Ben is finally defeated by Rex, when trying to protect bystanders, revealing his true human form. Then, Six appears with the creature, which self-destructs and renders him comatose, leaving Rex mortified and angry at Ben.
At Rex's hideout, Ben is locked up in a containment unit, while Doctor Holiday explains that the creature was Nanite in origin, but somehow completely different from an E.V.O. Ben offers help but is denied, escaping into the night. They are both confronted by Caesar, who explains the creature's origin. Having, created the creature, whose name is "Alpha". Saying that he created Alpha as a means of manufacturing nanites that could adapt for any scientific need, but became unstable as it developed sentience, forcing Caesar
to banish it to another dimension. Alpha invades to absorb E.V.O.'s for their nanites, hoping to gain control of Rex's as it knows he holds the key to it obtaining perfection.
Will Rex and Ben be able to stop Alpha, before they kill each other?
This special is Canon to both, and even introduced a new alien for Ben, Shocksquatch, that was then used in the new series Ben 10: Omniverse
. It was generally well-received by fans of both series, and has hit the top 100 on iTunes.
As this special was semi-livetroped, unmarked spoilers abound.
Tropes in the cross-over:
- Action Duo: Guess who?
- Alternate Universe: Ben and Rex's Earths are parallel to each other.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: With everything they've gone through, Rex is still resistant to the idea of aliens or parallel worlds. Mitigated by the the fact that (with the exception of that one Cryptid Episode) everything he's seen so far has been a result of terrestrial technology in his own dimension.
- Though it's worth noting that Rex did eagerly consider the possibility of alien technology while being beamed instructions for a machine in "Mixed Signals", incidentally the episode that introduced Caesar.
- Are You My Mommy: Alpha thinks Cesar is his father. Cesar is less than convinced.
- Art Shift: For Ben and his aliens. They're done in the Generator Rex (more detailed) style. This has the effect of making Ben look older.
- Aside Glance: Holiday after Cesar takes off with the metal fragment without an explanation. She's probably talking to Six, but is looking right at the audience.
Holiday: For the record, most scientists are not like that.
- Attackofthe Fifty Foot Whatever: Alpha's final form.
- Big Applesauce: Figures Manhattan would be first to get smashed up.
- Big Damn Heroes: White Knight, believe it or not.
- Cain and Abel: Rex and Cesar, to a certain extent. Also, in some twisted way, Alpha considers himself Rex's brother.
- Call Back: Cannonbolt!Ben saves Rex and himself from the exploding hovercraft the same way he protected Gwen and Max from re-entry in the original series.
- Rex's attempt at creating his own theme song in the opening uses the same tune of the original Ben 10 series with Rex adding his own lyrics. Six admits it's kind of catchy.
- Alpha first act after adapting the Ultimatrix to himself is to turn into his own version of Heatblast. This calls back to Ben's own very first transformation (Heatblast), as well as his first transformation in Alien Force (Swampfire, another fire alien).
- Cardboard Prison: Pretty much anything for a guy who can pass through matter, like Ben as Big Chill. (He lampshades this by saying he could have left any time he wanted)
- Alpha's incredibly dense sphere that Rex created to trap him turns out to be one of these.
- Casual Danger Dialogue: After Alpha has just gone Heatblast:
Ben: Can he do that?
Rex: I think he just did.
- Composite Character: Alpha is effectively an EVO, and then, at the climax, hacks the Ultimatrix, allowing him to turn into some of Ben's aliens.
- Create Your Own Villain: Alpha was created by Ceasar as a way to control nanites. He then sent it into the Null Void to try and get rid of it. Nice job sending it someplace it could get hosts, Ceasar.
- Danger Room Cold Open: When Rex and Six are sparring.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Alpha: "The beginning and the end of all things, I am AlphaOmega!"
- Fastball Special: Rex, with Fourarms!Ben as the thrower.
- Rex returns the favor with Cannonbolt.
- Fire-Forged Friends: when they first meet, Ben and Rex end up fighting each other, and keep arguing for a good part at the beginning of the story, but gradually come to become friends as the episodes goes on.
- Fusion Dance: Between Rex and Upgrade!Ben. This form comes complete with a super jetpack, Rocket Punch (perfect for Eye Scream!), Macross Missile Massacre, a full-on rocket cycle and improved Cool Sword.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: When Rex and Ben crash back to earth with Rex carried in Cannonbolt:
Rex: Ewww!! Do...you...have...any idea what it smells like in there, dude?!
Ben: I'm sure you can handle a little Arborean [Pelarota] musk to save your nuts and bolts, dude.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Ben and Rex, by the end of the episode.
- Motif Merger: In the beginning, their respective logos are fused, with the Omnitrix symbol forming the hub of Rex's gear symbol. See again when Fused!Rex builds his Upgrade-enhanced Power Fist.
- How Do I Shot Web?: Ben gets Shocksquatch for the first time, and doesn't know what he does.
- Just Eat Him: How Upchuck!Ben deals with the super-heavy nanite sphere. Rex's reaction is priceless:
Rex: Wow. That's just... wow.
- Let's You and Him Fight: Ben thinks Rex is an alien, Rex thinks Ben's an EVO, you get the picture. It ends in a draw.
- Negative Space Wedgie: Sets off the plot.
- One-Winged Angel: Alpha does it several times:
- When he absorbs all nanites in the Bug Jar, this cause him to turn into a massive, bulky, skull-faced being;
- When he hacks the Ultimatrix, he is able to steal its abilities and turn into Evos giant versions of Heatblast, Humongousaur, and Fourarms.
- Finally, when he absorbs the Omega nanite from Rex, he is able to turn into an ever bigger and more powerful Evo, calling himself AlphaOmega
- Origin Story: Ben and Rex explain theirs to each other at the same time.
- Also, Alpha's origin is narrated by Ceasar.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Like Van Kleiss, Alpha drains nanites from other things. Only these turn to dust instead of getting Taken for Granite.
- Phlebotinum Breakdown: Alpha manages to knock out Ben's Ultimatrix, so he's reduced to throwing rocks.
- Play-Along Prisoner: Ben when Providence "captures" him right after their fight.
Ben: *grins* You aren't holding me. I was staying so I could see how I could help. *turns into Big Chill and walks out*
- Power Copying: Alpha manages to copy Ben's Ultimatrix, giving him versions of Heatblast, Fourarms and Humongousaur.
- Psycho Prototype: Alpha the prototype nanite program.
- Sentient Phlebotinum: Alpha
- Sequel Hook: The special ends with many potential elements for a sequel; Ben is explicitly mentioned to have been infected with nanites upon his arrival in Rex's world, Alpha is shown breaking out of his prison inside the Null Void, and Six suggests Rex and Ben could meet again at the end of the special. However...
- Aborted Arc: Generator Rex has since then been cancelled, and Derrick J. Wyatt doesn't intend to use any of those Sequel Hooks.
- The Stinger: Alpha is showing signs of breaking out of the nanite sphere it's trapped in.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: For a while.
- Theme Tune Cameo: Several times, one example being when Ben transforms back to human the Ultimate Alien theme plays.
- Three-Point Landing: Done by Six early on, when fighting Alpha's original build.
- Transformation Name Announcement: Averted in this case. Ben doesn't do it.
- Transformation Sequence: Unlike Ben, Alpha gets one for his Heatblast transformation.
- Trapped in Another World: Ben.
- Vein-O-Vision: Alpha can see the nanites in other creatures.
- Weak, but Skilled: Rex compared to Ben. Ben's aliens give him a wider array of abilities and they are on the whole stronger than Rex, but Rex is more creative with the skills he does have. For example, he uses the Slam Cannon to launch concrete to bypass Lodestar's magnetic abilities.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Black Knight is never seen again after her attempt to close the rift fails.
- Worf Had the Flu: Six was critically injured during the initial fight with Alpha, putting him out of commission for the rest of the special.
- To a minor extent, Ben lost to Rex in their fight only because he was distracted saving civilians, and spent part of the fight with Alpha with his Ultimatrix malfunctionning.