A Motif Merger is a stylistic 'beat' sometimes used during a crossover. It's when both 'sides' have certain things that are their trademarks, and (during the crossover) there's a symbolic moment where the two motifs are either swapped or combined.
- The movie Freddy vs. Jason had a moment of mixing icons: a slow pan down from tree level, coming down onto a sign reading "Elm Street", while the soundtrack played the Friday the 13th "ki-ki-ki-ki, ma-ma-ma-ma" leitmotif.
- The shows Homicide: Life on the Street and Law & Order , which had distinctive ways of sequeing from one scene to anothernote , crossed over once. During the crossover, the scenes in New York [L&O's turf] were filmed with Homicide's transitions, and those in Baltimore [Homicide's setting] had L&O's transitions. (That is: Cut to black, glun-glung, text: "Baltimore Homicide Division, 10:30 AM.", fade in.)
- Quite common in Super Sentai teamups, with the team's logos merging. For example, Juken Sentai Gekiranger vs Engine Sentai Go-onger ends with the Geki triple-claw emblem on top of the Go-onger "G" speedometer.
- Sometimes two wrestlers forming a tag team will have their respective theme tunes and entrances "mashed up". Examples: Luger & Smith, the Allied Powers; Kane and Hurricane Helms as HurriKane, or the Corporate Ministry (The Undertaker's "Ministry of Darkness" and Vince McMahon's "Corporation" stables, merged) using a remix of the Corporation's theme in the style of the Ministry's theme.
- Sonic the Hedgehog (2006): Mephiles has a sinister-sounding piano leitmotif (with a techno remix as his boss fight music). Iblis is accompanied by a bombastic, orchestral score. When the two fuse together to form the True Final Boss Solaris, the phase 1 boss music is Mephiles' leitmotif, performed by Iblis' bombastic orchestra.
- In Angry Birds Star Wars, the Alliance Starbird incorporates the omnipresent slingshot that the birds use, while a pig's snout is added to the Imperial crest.
- FreeSpace 2 borrows the style for an early short video discussion backstory, showing the Galactic Terran Alliance and Parliamentary Vasudan Empire emblems merging into the Galactic Terran-Vasudan Alliance emblem. In general, the GTVA emblem counts as this trope just as much as the Union Flag does, being a combination of the symbols most representing the Terran and Vasudan peoples.
- In the animated DCAU crossover movie "World's Finest", the Bat-Signal (Batman's emblem) is broadcast onto the globe on top of the Daily Planet Building (Superman's).
- The exact logo at the top of the page also appears in-universe in Superman/Batman: Public Enemies on the chest of a giant robot that Toyman, Japanese wunderkind Hiro Okamura, built to destroy a Kryptonite asteroid that would hit Earth. Cut him some slack: he designed it when he was seven.
- The crossover between Ben 10: Ultimate Alien and Generator Rex, Heroes United, had Ben 10's Omnitrix at the center of Rex's gear logo.
- Similar to the above, the crossover of The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy and Codename: Kids Next Door has the openings combined, making the KND operatives grow flesh from bone like the former's opening.
- Quite common with national flags and coats of arms. The Union Jack was originally a combination of the flags of England and Scotland. Later, Ireland was added. But not Wales. Wales was invaded. The others joined peacefully by acts of their parliaments, but a few problems arose.
- The Australian Coat of Arms includes a shield divided into six with the arms of each of the states on it. Originally they developed a unique federal arms, but they subsequently developed a new set including the arms of each state, inspired by...
- Canada's royal arms of the time (around 1910), which included the arms of each province. This however was terribly cluttered; Canada had at that point nine provinces, which was deemed to be too complicated to be useful. The Canadians then adopted the first form of their modern arms by taking the British royal arms, switching the extra England quarter with royal French fleurs-de-lys, adding three maple leaves on white in the base, and having the lion and the unicorn carry flagpoles bearing the Union Jack and a blue flag with fleurs-de-lys, respectively.note