Webcomic: Jenny Haniver
, or what happens when you and everyone you know are acquainted with way too many people."
— The webcomic's banner
is a Slice of Life
webcomic with Loads and Loads of Characters
(at the moment, 133), opening with the college life of Jordan Davignon... and extrapolating from there. There are, at any one time, several conflicts going on
, with new characters coming in, and old ones taking the back seat. Generally, the main groups focused on are the Jenny Haniver crew (the original five or so characters), the GSA at Jordan's old highschool, and the several bands that either rival or tour with Jenny Haniver
In addition to the webcomic, the author writes a series of Alternate Universe
steampunk novels, featuring the same characters.This series provides examples of:
- Aerith and Bob: Jordan, Greg, Steve... and also Panagiotis, Faraji, and Qadira.
- Art Evolution: The first comic's art compared to the newer strips. The difference is staggering.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Varya deals one of these to Eidel after she admits she cheated on her with Araceli.
- Big Eater: Tierney (the rare vegetarian variant), and Harrison, whose size is probably responsible for his diet.
- Camp Gay: Tweety, and Leighton.
- Cast Full of Gay: The comic features all parts of the LGBT spectrum.
- The newest character is Taylor's long-lost little half-sister, Welsie. She's male-to-female trans.
- Jordan now identifies as transfeminine and nonbinary, and uses fey and jer pronouns.
- Tweety recently came out as a trans woman and now identifies as female.
- Closet Key: Cody was Derek's.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Reese, as well as Kaori in her own insane way.
- Coming-Out Story: Everley, who came out to his parents and was kicked out for it.
- Cool Old Lady: Ilene, Orion's roommate.
- DaretoBeBadass/RousingSpeech - Alex to Jordan:
"You're cute as hell, you smell like coconuts, and you've got your best friend's raggedy old Popple as a guiding light. The world is yours."
- Deadpan Snarker: Much of the cast, but most notably Araceli and Faraji.
- Delayed Reaction: Oliver goes through an entire day before realizing he told Brian he loved him.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Raleigh- he gets his jollies posting as an Internet trap and crossplaying.
- Julian. For a while, Kevin thought he was a girl.
- Elopement: Nick and Holly.
- Eye Take: Jordan, when confronted with a transphobic interviewer.
- Facial Dialogue: Noel can apparently deliver reams of advice through this.
- Fangirl: Isabel, as well as her right-hand (wo)man, Ashley.
- And Araceli, when it comes to her gay boys.
- Arguably Wren when it comes to Jordan.
- The Fashionista: Kaori, and to a lesser extent, Tweety.
- Fireball Eyeballs: Tweety, when confronted with a transphobic interviewer.
- Five-Man Band: Jenny Haniver - literally.
- Not anymore, as Jordan identifies as transfeminine and nonbinary (and uses fey and jer pronouns), and Tweety now identifies as female.
- Gag Boobs: Morrigan.
- Geek/Nerd: A lot of the cast, though most noticeably Jordan and Harrison. Harrison even proposes to Jordan with tattooed rings written in Tengwar.
- Gentle Giant: Vito, officially the biggest character (height and weight) of Jenny Haniver.
- Girl Next Door: Bridget, a cute Christian girl who is overwhelmingly sweet and goes on yearly missionary trips.
- Gossipy Hens: Subverted in that the gossipy hens are usually gossipy cocks.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Eidel and Morrigan.
- Hates Everyone Equally: Darby Newell. Except his boyfriend, but hey, even Nietzche-loving nihilists need a little action.
- Het is Ew: Isabel subscribes to this belief.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Brodie and Taylor, to the point of violent jealousy on the part of Taylor. Scott and Patrick, at first.
- Hot Teacher: Oliver. Or at least, Araceli thinks so.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Nick and Holly, and also Harrison and Jordan.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Greg and Everley, as well as Patrick and Scott.
- Insufferable Genius: James.
- The Jail Bait Wait: Greg and Everley, and they don't make it.
- Jerk Ass: Darby and Kalle
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Amery, who despite his chauvinistic and promiscuous tendencies, turns out to be a decent guy.
- The Lad-ette: Nieves.
- The Lancer: Araceli.
- Large Ham: Harrison is the embodiment of this.
- Lesbian Vampire: Nieves, though she also preys upon big, burly men.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Surprisingly, Kaori.
- Manipulative Bastard: Kalle, who is remarkably adept at pushing people's buttons.
- And with the Ezra-seducing saga, Evan has finally grown into this role.
- Metalhead: Vito, Vinny, Orion, and Soren.
- Of Corsets Sexy: Many fall into this trope- Araceli often wears corset-style tops, as well as Isabel, as part of her gothloli wardrobe. Applies to Yoshi when he's crossdressing.
- Official Couple: Harrison and Jordan, Tweety and Luke, Araceli and Matt, etc. Too many to list.
- One of the Boys: Araceli, considering she holds her own in a previously all-male band.
- Otaku: Isabel is obsessed with manga, notably Boy's Love, to the point where she wrote a doujinshi about her friends in the GSA.
- Panic Attack: Jordan has one, leading to an impromptu road trip involving jer and Harrison.
- Paralyzing Fear of Sexuality: Derek, to the point that it interferes with him having a healthy relationship.
- Perky Female Minion: Ashley, whose friendship with Isabel borders on worship, often.
- Pet the Dog: Jordan's dad letting Everley stay with them after he gets kicked out counts as this, considering his passive animosity of his son's sexuality and his general hardassedness.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Crystal's wedding dress.
- What Araceli wants for her wedding dress: "You sure this is the fluffiest dress you've got?"
- Refuge in Audacity: Nieves, namely her seduction tactics.
- The Silent Bob: Noel, may also count as TheSpeechless.
- Single-Target Sexuality: According to Word of God, Evan.
- Something Something Leonard Bernstein: Apparently Jordan's band invokes this in-universe ("Something about a... marshmallow?).
- Spell My Name with an S: When Araceli leaves her job, her co-workers bake her a cake. What does it say? "Good luck, Aracelly."
- Stupid Sexy Flanders: Harrison induces this with poor Derek.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky: James and Faraji.
- Transparent Closet: Tweety and Derek's were made of GLASS.
- Uke: Jordan, although fey tends to subvert many of the tropes associated with the role.
- Unsettling Gender-Reveal: Julian, when he was dating Kevin. For a while, Kevin thought Julian was a girl.
- Wham Line: "I was raped." --Tweety
- Your Mom: Araceli's answer when asked who she was wearing, according to the author in the title of a strip:
"For the record, according to her interview answer, araceli is wearing "your mothers skin""