Webcomic / Fur Will Fly
Fur Will Fly
is a Furry Comic
(now concluded) about a human named Brad who, after getting fired from his job at Tim Hortons, asks God to, quote, "Bring it on."
Less than a second later, he is teleported into a government-funded lab in a Mirror Universe
where everyone is an anthromorphic animal
in one form or another (the author seems to love throwing obscure or seldom-used animals into the mix). After a series of culture shock strips detailing the differences between the two universes the strip quickly settles into a pattern of following Brad through the various travails, romances and sitcom-esque gags of his new life . . . at least before taking a turn for the dramatic
. Luckily, this works to the reader's benefit and is done fairly well.
is now was (the archives got taken down due to creative team disputes)
is now again an
no longer ongoing sequel/spinoff to this comic, called Coming Up Violet
; check it out
- Arranged Marriage
- Art Evolution
- Art Shift
- Taken to extremes by the end of the comic, when there are no fewer than three artists drawing the comic at any one time.
- Babies Ever After
- Barefoot Cartoon Animal: Everyone except Brad, the firefighters, and the soldiers. This is even lampshaded at one point by Socko being picked up by a group of women at the laundry mat and the women mistaking him for a tail warmer.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension
- Breaking the Fourth Wall
- Canada, Eh?
- Despite Brad previously working at Tim Hortons, he goes to Canada only once in the strip. Though Kevin is a Canadian, and Natalie does move there in the epilogue.
- Carnivore Confusion
- Cool Mask: At one point Natalie fashions Brad a dog persona mask so that he can freely walk in public and interact with non-protagonist members of the society. Not that it stopped him from doing this before...
- Clingy Jealous Girl
- Closet Geek: Page. Has a sealed-off secret stash of Star Wars merchandise including pre-Special Edition old trilogy video tapes, several mint-on-card action figures, and even a whole sheet of paper covered with words "Greedo didn't shoot first". She later explains that her obsession with the franchise made her a social outcast for the majority of her life and so she keeps it a well-guarded secret to give herself better odds of making friends and blending in. Naturally Brad being himself fully supports her hobby, and in some amusing ways, too.
- Cosplay: Brad reveals to Page he knows about her secret Star Wars obsession by renting out Han Solo and Princess Leia costumes and offering her the latter when she comes home one day. Much off-screen making out ensues.
- Crazy Cat Lady
- Crazy-Prepared: Page acquired a silver bullet after a hunch that she might be facing a werewolf in the future. Turns out she was right, though it wasn't a transformed Brad like she originally had thought.
- Enemy Within: Funny variaton. When Page walks in on Tammy and Brad bonding and hugging after he read her diary, her inner child starts complaining that it wants a hug from Brad too. Page quickly tells it to can it.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Natalie dresses up as a witch on Halloween, and when she answers the door to give candy to trick-or-treeters, the two young boys are too stunned by her bust to even remember what they came for in the first place.
- Furry Comic
- Furry Confusion
- Good People Have Good Sex: Mostly Tammy and Stewart, up to the point where Brad often can't fall sleep in the living room at night because they are rather loud about it. He catches a break once in a while with Page's and Natalie's help, though.
- Good Girls Avoid Abortion
- Both Tammy and Page decide to keep their babies, even though the option of abortion was either discussed or alluded to in some way.
- G-Rated Drug
- Natalie smoked catnip, which is actually a powerful hallucinogen.
- Half-Human Hybrid
- Happily Married
- Hide Your Lesbians
- Natalie's family tries to do this to her when they invite her to the family reunion.
- Interspecies Romance
- Hyper Awareness: Page is by far the most observant character in the story and was aware of something long before others several times:
- Noticed Stewart was in love with Tammy before he told anyone (and while he was still dating Natalie).
- Deduced Natalie was a closet lesbian before she came out (or even admitted it to herself) by simply noting her way of glancing at other women.
- Figured out Brad could potentially turn into a werewolf just by looking at the shape of his wound and how fast it scarred. Also doubles as Crazy-Prepared as she bought a silver bullet for her gun just in case this actually happened. It did.
- Law of Inverse Fertility
- Lions and Tigers and Humans... Oh, My!
- Lost Wedding Ring: Happens during Tammy's and Stewart's wedding. Page helps Violet cough out some non-edible object that she ate, and it turns out to be Tammy's intended ring (Violet doesn't explain this to the baffled Page beyond saying this can happen when you're seven years old). The ring then falls into a bathroom's sink piping and Brad has to stall the wedding until Page and Violet manage to retrieve it, almost giving Stewart a heart attack in the process.
- The Men in Black
- Mirror Universe
- Mistaken for Gay
- The Multiverse
- There's even a universe populated entirely by sasquatch!
- Not Distracted by the Sexy: Kevin and Brad decide to take Stewart to a strip club for his bachelor party. However, even as he shares a table with a fully naked stripper, he keeps looking at her face and casually talks to her about the weather and preffered shopping spots. Brad and Kevin agree only Stew could behave that way in the given situation.
- Only One Name
- Brad, who has actually forgotten his surname.
- Opposites Attract
- Our Werewolves Are Different
- Paper-Thin Disguise: In the early arcs of the story Brad often walks around in public with no disguise other than some kind of hat or hood to cover up his ears. He presents himself as a kind of monkey mole rat hybrid with shedding problems. Everyone buys it, including his first girlfriend.
- Parental Abandonment
- Pizza Boy Special Delivery: Roxxy is a pizza girl who uses "unconventional" tactics to get bigger tips. Though the only one of her customers she actually slept with was her girlfriend, Natalie.
- Punny Name
- Agent Foe and Agent Paws both are often cast as the main characters' foes, both have paws, and neither of them ever seem to catch a break.
- Relationship Upgrade: Shortly after the comic's 100th strip Brad breaks up with his first on-screen girlfriend, and reveals to Tammy this is what he is really after in dating, as due to his goofy and laid back nature no girl so far would take him seriously enough to want more than just to spend some good time with him with no real commitment involved. Luckily for him he also later disclosed this information to Page, who at that time was starting to consider asking him out and thought herself to be more compatible with his real needs.
- Running Gag: "Stacy's mom has got it goin' on..."
- Sad Clown: When Brad breaks up with his first in-story girlfriend, he prepares hot drinks for all of the house dwellers to celebrate him becoming single again. But as soon as everyone goes back to their own routines, he hides in the bathroom for three hours straight moping about the situation, giving one of the first hints his happy-go-lucky appearance is only one aspect of his personality in which there is also some room for a serious down-to-earth adult.
- Schedule Slip
- Second Love: Stewart for Tammy.
- Secret Diary: Tammy keeps one, and once Brad finds it he immediately starts reading it, commencing a flashback that fleshes out how she got pregnant and started her relationship with Stewart. Tammy is rather bemused when she catches him in the act, but after giving him a light punishment for privacy breach, admits she's happy he read it as it's good to have someone to talk to about her past.
- Shaking Her Hair Loose: After Brad asks her to be his steady girlfriend and inquires what would she like to do with the rest of their evening, Page does this along with removing her glasses to indicate she wants to sleep with him. He immediately declares she just became ten times hotter.
- Shotgun Wedding: Heart-warmingly subverted. When Page finally tells Brad that she is expecting his child, not only does he not panic and celebrates the fact, but also comes up with the idea of marrying Page on his own as means of showing her he loves her and is ready to fully commit both to her and their future family.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: A lot of people (including the author in the cast section) consider Stewart a boring, partly spineless guy who logically shouldn't have any chances of hooking up with anyone. On the other hand, he's a very kind, loyal and supportive person and this notion is shared at least by two women: Natalie, who dated him in college until coming out of the closet, and Tammy, who always liked him a lot, but never asked him out as both were in relationships at the time and she didn't even think he'd be interested in her. The second he tells her otherwise, she becomes his lover, even before her previous, deteriorating relationship officially ends. Considering how eventually she married him and jumped at the opportunity of bearing his child, maybe Stew wasn't such a loser as society thought after all.
- Species Surname
- Stupid Sexy Flanders
- Suddenly Sexuality: For most of her life Natalie considered herself straight and even dated Stewart during her college days. However at some point she noticed how she reacts to pretty ladies in the vicinity and how uneasy she is about becoming intimate with Stewart. This uncertainty about her identity really stresses her, so one day she decides to perform a final orientation test, and declares herself gay as a result. Doubles as Kick the Dog, because that test was sleeping with Stewart for the first time, and unlike her, he really enjoyed it. They break up immediately.
- The Loins Sleep Tonight: This is how Brad makes sure his sleep will not be disturbed by the loud love-making of Tammy and Stewart once: he bribes Natalie to slip an anti-aphrodisiac into Stewart's coffee at work so that he can't "stand up to the job" at the end of the day, all described in the style of "there are things you can't buy" commercial. Hearing Tammy comfort Stew and saying this happens to a lot of guys is both hilarious and sad at the same time.
- They Do: Tammy and Stewart.
- Brad and Page in the story finale
- Natalie and her girlfriend Roxxy, as revealed in the epilogue character sheet
- Visual Pun - The doctor is a duck.
- Visit by Divorced Dad
- Wacky Marriage Proposal: when Brad decides to propose to Page after learning she's pregnant with his child, he comes up with a scheme where he would hide her engagement ring inside her favourite berry muffin that he baked for her. The wacky part comes in when Selena, who also happens to me a muffin afficianado and is visiting, eats some of the muffins from Brad's batch and instantly gets so sick the guys have to drive her to the hospital. Brad fears this is a result of the ring getting stuck in her digestive system and begs the doctors to get it out of her. As it turns out, Selena was instead unknowingly allergic to this particullar kind of berry... but probably would have swallowed the ring anyway if it wasn't for her habit of breaking her baked goods down into smaller chunks before eating them. Page later finds the ring between the leftover crumbs while everyone is still at the hospital.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Brad's first on-screen girlfriend was named, appropriately, Blue. This was actually a Cameo of Blue Deiter from Namir Deiter.