"Are you crazy? Is that your problem?"The Suburban Jungle
is a long-running furry slice-of-life
webcomic by John 'The Gneech' Robey, centring around the life and career of Tiffany Tiger. Ended (rather than simply being abandoned
) mid 2009.
When the story opens Tiff is an aspiring model who works crummy temp jobs to pay the rent. More recently she has found acting success in Kitten Kaboodle: Space Ranger
and a role in upcoming film A Girl And Her Dog
Early episodes involved Tiffany, her panda roommate Yin, Wensley the mouse and his brother Ramses (the angriest mouse in the world) and Leonard Lion, owner of popular bar The Watering Hole. Later on the cast expanded, with several one-shot characters sticking around for the ride and other regulars including Tiffany's mother and siblings.
Some of the cast:
- Conrad Tiger: Troubled, but Cute model, actor and Romantic False Lead who dated Tiffany for two years after they met at a shoot.
- Dover Cheetah: A programmer so geeky his Speech Bubbles actually appear in code (though after he had been in the strip for a number of years he learned to talk normally). Pursued Tiffany romantically for some time before becoming involved with her sister Comfort, to whom he is now married. Being a cheetah, he types super-fast.
- It's actually implied that it's not geekdom, but that he'd done so much programming (and presumably had so little contact with other people) that he'd literally lost the capacity to communicate the other way. Yeek.
- Drezzer Wolf: Tiffany's agent and a kindly Magical Queer who dispenses life and relationship advice.
- Leona Lion: Model and actress whose career has been overshadowed by Tiffany's. She has fewer scruples than her rival, making her the Evil Counterpart.
- Leonard Lion: has had a secret crush on Tiffany for years, and has watched her date other guys, including Dover and Conrad, because he's too nice to interfere. Tiffany finally starts to return his feelings - just as he finally gets over her, leading to Unrequited Love Switcheroo. They got together in the end.
- Yin: kooky Conspiracy Theorist whose notions turn out not to be so wild after all when she is abducted and taken to the Village.
You find it at http://www.suburbanjungleclassic.com
- Agent Mulder: Yin
- Alleged Car: The warranty on Natasha's car just expired.
- Alliterative Name: Tiffany Tiger, Leonard Lion, Wally Wallaby. Also Brody Coyote, an assonant name.
- Barefoot Cartoon Animals: The entire cast.
Leona: What's so significant about being barefoot in the park?
Conrad: I have no idea, really. It's a pretty whacked-out play.
- Brick Joke: If you cover the sun with your thumb, you can see UF Os hiding in the corona. And then get abducted by their crew years later.
- The cardboard cutout of Tiffany she uses to dodge an all-day meeting for a modeling shoot.
- Carnivore Confusion: The Watering Hole is popular because it's a 'no predation allowed' bar, rigorously enforced by the landlord, allowing predator and prey species to mingle.
- Catch Phrases: "Tigers don't do lawsuits!" "Are you crazy? Is that your problem?"
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Both Dover and Drezzer were sufficiently loved to become regular characters.
- Guest Artist: The entire Tiffarella arc was drawn by Scott Kellogg who does 21st Century Fox.
- Tiffarella has enough shout outs that it really needs its own page.
- Glass Eye: Catscratch has one thanks to a cat attack, hence her nickname. She takes it out when doing her psychic stuff.
- Half Dressed Funny Animal: A number of characters got away with no pants, such as Yin, Comfort, and Drezzer. Though oddly most of the cast still wear them.
- Hurricane of Euphemisms: Drezzer uses one to try to explain to Leona that he's not interested in her because he's gay. She doesn't believe him.
- Ladykiller in Love: Leonard Lion toward Tiffany.
- Local Hangout: The Watering Hole.
- Magical Queer: Drezzer.
- Mistaken for Gay: Conrad's own mother is insistent that her son is gay, despite his lengthy relationship with Tiffany.
- The Napoleon: Ramses.
- Relax-o-Vision: "SCENE OF INDESCRIBABLE CARNAGE!"
- Romance Arc: Leonard and Tiffany are working their way through this.
- Settle for Sibling: Dover Cheetah eventually gives up his unrequited crush on Tiffany and begins seeing her half-sister Comfort. They get married and are by far the most stable couple depicted.
- Shout-Out: Leona Lioness was considered less interesting than a geeky skunk with glasses who has her own comic.
- Special Guest: Mike from The Class Menagerie dropped in for a while.
- Species Surname: Most the characters.
- They Do: Tiffany and Leonard Lion, eventually.
- Unrequited Love Switcheroo: Leonard Lion and Tiffany.