Webcomic: Black Tapestries
is a long running (though no longer updated) webcomic about a world called Raekarta which is home to Humans, and a race of anthroanimals called Kaetif. The story stares Lorelei, an immortal werefox who likely already wants to kill you. The story mostly details the conflicts between Humans and Kaetif, the various attempts of the Order to capture Lorelei, and how series antagonist Issac is involved.
The comic is written and drawn by Jakkal. It was started in 2002, though was abandoned in 2007. It was going to be started up again in 2008, but after a couple filler pages the comic was again abandoned. In February of 2010 Jakkal has announced that she will be rebooting the comic, but this has yet to happen. Recently though, it has been announced that the comic will be rebooted on July 11th, 2011. However it appears this promise has gone unfulfilled as well.
There is mention of another
reboot on the 11/07/2012 and a link to http://www.blacktapestries.com/
. As of 11th of January 2013 the site is slowly coming together.
This webcomic contains examples of:
- Abandoned Info Page: Originally the pages just had outdated stuff about the characters and plot. Now the links to any of the info pages are just flat-out broken.
- Action Girl: Lorelei
- Animorphism: Lorelei and Issac.
- Blessed with Suck: Both immortals in Black Tapestries are killed multiple times throughout the story, in very painful ways. Issac explains that while dead, the experience does not dull in the slightest.
- Deaths include broken necks, slit throats, skinning, beheading, impalement, crushed by rubble, and soul snatching, and they have to experience every moment until their bodies heal again.
- Being immortal also means being locked in the same moment of their lives forever, which means in Lore's case, she can never have children.
- Bolivian Army Hiatus: This is not alone!!!
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Three guesses why the Order are nicknamed 'The Ol' Blue'.
- Color Me Black: Lorelei turning into an immortal werevixen. Issac claims this is for her to see firsthand the cruelty humans show toward kaetif. And has nothing to do with his fixation on her.
- Conflicting Loyalty: Tristan doesn't seem to know if he should side with his friends, or his father.
- Cursed with Awesome: Sort of. Lorelei and Issac are both immortal, but they still both feel pain. Lorelei is also a werefox, but she doesn't like that at all. Later she gets upgraded after some experiments during her detainment with the Order, and gets super-strength at the cost of sometimes loosing control of her animal self.
- The Dandy: Issac is noticeably the most well-dressed kaetif, often showing off bright expensive colors like green and red as opposed to the brown and gray rags of his peers. This makes sense considering his wealthy human upbringing.
- Deadpan Snarker:Lorelei. Also counts as Lemony Narrator.
- Death by Origin Story: Lorelei's parents. Alaura.
- Do You Trust Me?: Invoked often and almost always averted.
- Face-Heel Turn: Tristan. Apparently a case of Brainwashed and Crazy.
- Fetish Fuel: In universe, both Lore's forms gain quite a lot of male attention.
- Filler Strips: The most notable is the most recent one which, not only is a big advertisement for the author's RP site, but is also unfinished and the last few posts to the comic.
- Fourth Wall Mail Slot: A few comics were Lorelei, Issac or another character answer mail from readers. About half of the mail were people complaining about Lorelei not liking her werefox form, while others were questions about plot elements.
- Glowing Eyes: Lorelei is asked how she is able to see with her eyes glowing green every time she goes on a killing spree.
- Grey and Grey Morality: A lot.
- Groin Attack: Lorelei's usual method of fighting off a male attacker.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Tristan. A Wizard Did It.
- How We Got Here: Black Tapestries begins with Lorelei sitting on a rock with a mysterious black anthro-canine, (who is not kaetif), looking out at the sunset. The story begins almost 200 years earlier.
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: Played with. Yes, the humans are bastards. So are the Kaetif.
- Humanity Ensues: Alaura.
- Interspecies Romance: Issac and Alaura.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: How Lorelei gets revenge on the ringleader of the Kaetif arena.
- Indecisive Deconstruction: Partial. Lorelei points out many common fantasy tropes as she recounts her story. But most of the lampshading happens after the fact, so the tropes are often played straight.
- Insane Equals Violent: "In the beginning God said let there be light. Some other stuff happened later but I never cared, but there was a lot of bloodshed... So let's have some bloodshed! Oh look, a volunteer!"
- Karmic Transformation: Lorelei. She refuses to learn from it.
- Devin, too, for using the Chaotic Art. He tries to weasel his way out of his punishment by switching bodies with Lorelei.
- Knight Templar: Ferral and Diur.
- Lad-ette: Lorelei starts out having no qualms about murder, torture, and theft. Various characters have commented on her uncleanliness and how she drools in her sleep. Her snores are even likened to CHAINSAWS!
- Loners Are Freaks: Jackal. Also Lorelei to an extent.
- Loveable Sex Maniac: Red seems to be shaping up as this.
- Loves My Alter Ego: Issac, a powerful fox kaetif, toward the werefox, Lorelei. Guess which form he likes. Gets into even weirder territory when it's revealed that he married and copulated with a fox kaetif-turned-human back when he, himself, used to be human.
- Luke, I Am Your Father
- Magic Knight: The Templar Order.
- Makes Sense In Context: "We stroked and touched each other's balls. It was a very personal experience you obviously wouldn't understand."
- Mighty Whitey: As the only prisoner who knows how the artstones work, it's up to Lorelei the half-human to save the kaetif trapped in The Ring.
- Issac becomes the leader of the new kaetif resistance movement, even though he wasn't born a kaetif. It's possible most of the kaetif aren't aware of this fact.
- Mind Rape: Issac and the Orderguard sure love messing around in Lorelei's dreams.
- My Death Is Just the Beginning: Upon hearing she will spend the rest of her days as a fox kaetif, Lorelei's first intent is to commit suicide. Issac prevents this by making her immortal just like himself.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: All Tristan was guilty of was wanting to help an unconscious fox kaetif, and he ends up a homeless fugitive for his trouble. Too bad that kaetif happened to be the infamous Lorelei and he's harboring her. When he asks why this happened to him Lorelei cites this trope word for word.
- Not So Different: Red says this to Lorelei after it is revealed he is another human turned kaetif.
- Obsession Song: Aggessive Type. Issac recites William Blake's "The Tiger", in reference to Lorelei's defiance against his approaches. If that isn't disturbing enough, he does this right before arranging for her to be captured and thrown into The Ring.
- Orphaned Series: The comic hasn't been updated since 2008, though there are promises of a reboot. Both side comics, The Realm of Kaerwyn and Crimson Fury: Legend of the Red Wolf, have met the same fate as well.
- The Realm of Kaerwyn is slowly picking up the pace and somewhat progressing right nownote , with almost daily updates.
- Playing Both Sides: Red works as a double agent for the Order, using his appearance as a kaetif to obtain information on Issac's plans, then misleading or flat-out lying to the Order when he thinks it may give him an advantage.
- Rape as Drama: Lorelei is raped for about 3 months when she is a prisoner at the Kaetif arena in attempts to get stronger children. They only eventually stop when they determine she's incapable of bearing children.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: During one of the earlier chapters, Drakko has to cease production of the comic to evacuate ahead of a hurricane. About ten chapters later, both Theropos and Creedmore are preparing to be hit by a hurricane, too.
- Reason Why You Suck Speech: Lorelei is spoonfed several of these during the course of the story, by Issac, by Dane, by Devin, by Red. They're usually something to do with her stubbornness.
- Reliable Traitor: Red turns out to be this.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Lorelei after she frees herself from the Kaetif arena. Also, Issac after The Order kills his wife
- Shipper on Deck: Red.
- Shout-Out: What's that? Tristan fell down a well?
- Sliding Scaleof Free Will Vs Fate: Discussed by Nolokari and Talaris.
- Sociopath: It's harder to find a drifter who DOESN'T like to cut things up.
- Spell My Name with an S: Issac (not Isaac).
- Start of Darkness: Chapter 9 for Issac.
- Stock Phrase: "Holy mother of fuck!"
- Take a Third Option: Talaris does this to prevent a Second Human-Kaetif War.
- Terms of Endangerment: Issac calls the main protagonist 'My dear' so often that she panics once when Tristan says 'My dear lord' while scaling a mountain.
- Token Evil Teammate: Devin. Allowed to stay so Lorelei can learn The Art from him.
- Unreliable Narrator: Lorelei is stopped several times during her story and asked if she is embellishing events to make them more dramatic.
- Unsound Effect: *Other disgusting eating noises here* was used once when Lorelei was really hungry.
- Happens again with *Whinny. Other pissed off horse noises* when some Orderguards scare Dakotah.
- And again with *Enter unintelligible string of explitives* when a puppy Baleful Polymorph:who is Dane under a curse bites her tail.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Issac.
- Will They or Won't They?: Dane Quanel and Lorelei the Drifter. They Do, sort of. During an inter-dimensional mind swap incident.
- Windows to the Soul: No matter what the various characters change into, the one thing that never changes is their eyes.