Webcomic / Best Friends Forever
Essentially a gay Will They or Won't They?
set in a fancy private High School
. Vincent Fawkes is a hot and popular quarterback (but a poor Scholarship Student
), Teddy Bijapur is his nerd-chic billionaire best friend. Their nosy classmates insist there's more than friendship between them, and they may just be onto something... or not. It is written by Mickey Quinn, and can be found right here
Best Friends Forever contains examples of:
- Alliterative Name: Louis Lindbeck.
- Almost Kiss: between Teddy and Vincent during their summer trip.
- Ambiguously Gay: Guess who? (see Noodle Incident below).
- Alpha Bitch: Subverted with Kamri and the other cheerleaders. They treat the other characters well, and become friends with Teddy when he joins the squad. They even go so far as to dump John & company after they interrupt Dude Night. Kamiri also seems fond of Vincent, and treats him well, even when it becomes clear he isn't as interested in her as before.
- The Beard: Teddy and Penelope start "dating" partially for the benefit of Penelope's parents and the other kids at school, but it's not completely fake. In a more traditional example, Kamri is this for Vincent, who doesn't like girls that way.
- Betty and Veronica: Vincent is the Archie to Teddy's Betty and Louis' Veronica.
- Better as Friends: Vincent and Teddy decide this in the last part of chapter 24, thanks to...
- Big Damn Kiss: Between Vincent and Teddy. Teddy describes it as "like kissing his best friend".
- Big Fancy House: How about that Bijapur Estate?
- Big Man on Campus: Vincent, although he's slowly ruining his rep.
- Binge Montage: A comics version can be seen at the kickoff of Vincent's birthday party.
- Bollywood Nerd: Teddy's half Indian.
- Brains and Brawn: Teddy and Vincent.
- Coming-Out Story: It becomes this for Vincent, as chapter 23 reveals that everybody but John, Teddy and possily Kamri already knew about his relationship with Louis. By chapter 24 John and Teddy find out, and Kamri reveals she always knew, though she was lying to keep her pride.
- Cerberus Syndrome: After chapter 15, the comic gets more plot-heavy, after that, some more serious plot point begin to come up stronger, such as Teddy and John's past, Vincent coming out and his relationship with Louis. The 4-part chapter 23 gets the prize by bringing everything in full, plus a Wham Episode. Properly speaking, the story isn't darker, just more serious and dramatic.
- Cliffhanger: Almost every chapter finishes with one.
- Cool Car: Vincent has one, and so does Teddy. In fact, Vincent's car was a gift from Teddy's family.
- Date Peepers: Louis and the guys are these in Dude Night Spies. Sort of.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Louis is a male example of this, as he defrosts through hooking up with Vincent. It's especially obvious in chapter 24.4.
- Double Entendre: Louis is a repeat offender. Examples found here and here.
- Even The Jerkass Has Standards: Louis is decidedly not impressed when he finds out how John turned on Teddy.
- Fake Cutie: Or perhaps a Stepford Smiler, it's becoming clear that Teddy's chipper cuteness is some sort of facade.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: In the sexting messages Louis sends for Vincent, the reader can actually click on the 'view photo' buttons to see Louis nudes.
- Fat and Skinny: ...Put 'em together, and what do you get? (John and Louis.)
- John and Teddy in their childhood
- Flirty Stepsiblings: John and Louis approach this, in a Belligerent Sexual Tension kind of way.
- Friend Versus Lover: a mild and one sided example between Louis towards Teddy. Overall, the former sees that he is always going to be second to the latter for Vincent. The other, though is not even aware that the relationship exists.
- The Gadfly: Louis. No one is safe.
- Gayngst: Subverted with Louis, he actually points out in chapter 23 that he thinks gay guys with daddy issues are cliché, and tells Vincent that he has a good relationship with his father.
- Vincent has some, focused on his fear of coming out and his Unrequited Love for his best friend.
- A moment between Teddy and Louis implies that Teddy might have some, or know someone that has. If the latter is true, then it might be John
Teddy: Have you... always been gay?
- Geek Physiques: Skinny little Teddy. Chubby John in his youth, before he decided to go full jock like his dad.
- Generation Xerox: John and his father are practically identical in appearance and mentality although it wasn't always this way. Meanwhile, Teddy's father certainly wishes Teddy was this trope, at least on some level.
- Hey, You!: How Vincent often addresses John... must be holding a grudge from their 7th-grade fistfight.
- High-School Dance: The big Homecoming dance in Chapter 9.
- Jerkass: Louis is basically a Rich Bitch, particularly when addressing Vincent.
- Jerk Jock: John; was also a Barbaric Bully as a kid.
- Just Friends: The foundation of the plot.
- Long Distance Relationship: In Chapter 13, we learn that Penelople is in one.
- Longing Look: Vincent is an egregious repeatoffender. (That second one is a case of Beautiful Dreamer as well.)
- Loving a Shadow: Vincent realizes he isn't actually in love with Teddy, just with the idea of being with him.
- Mr. Fanservice: Vincent has more Shirtless Scene than any character in the comic, and Art Evolution guarantees that he's quite the sexy hunk.
- Noodle Incident: Something happened to Teddy and Vincent over the summer that has created awkwardness between them. Their classmates think they hooked up, but they both deny it - and are telling the truth; Vincent might have been trying to kiss Teddy, but Teddy currently isn't sure, and his side of the story is all we have just now.
- Vincent WAS trying to kiss him. Many times. The incident Teddy describes is just the only time he noticed anything.
- Out of Focus: Teddy gets less screen time in later chapters, as the focus on the plot is Vincent's relationship with Louis, but he becomes more relevant again recently.
- Penny Among Diamonds: Vincent.
- Rejected Apology: Teddy has his darkest moment when John tries to apologize
Teddy: You want me to say 'I forgive you' so you can feel better? You don't get to feel better, John, "sorry".
- Ship-to-Ship Combat: In-universe, Andre and Charli discuss if Vincent should be with Teddy or Louis, Charli supports the former while Andre the later.
- Ship Sinking: Chapter 24 sinks Vincent/Teddy. They decide they are Better as Friends, and Vincent tells Teddy that he is over his crush and is going after Louis.
- Shipper on Deck: Andre wants Vincent and Teddy to hook up and keeps dropping hints to them about it. At one point he even gets into a Ship War with Charli.
- Shower of Angst: A Bathtub of Angst happens on chapter 24, by Louis. He reviews in his mind what happens on the end of the ski trip and sees Teddy believing he is nothing more than another of Vincent's conquest, Kamri mad at him for sleeping with Vincent and Vincent having suffered a severe injury, and looking for Teddy, not him, for comfort.
- The Shrink: Teddy's father Dr.Bijapur.
- Straight Gay: Just about everyone seems to think Vincent and Teddy are. While it's uncertain with Teddy, Vincent defninitely fits the bill.
- The Atoner: John seems to want to be that, but is unable to get anything out of anyone.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: John becomes slowly ostracized from the group by Louis as he learns about his past with Teddy. The rest of the group starts to seem to hang out with him out of habit rather than actually liking him.
- The Voiceless: "Silent Guy" (also apparently No Name Given, for laughs on the character page.)
- We Used to Be Friends: To say John and Teddy have a rocky history is an understatement. They were friends up until John's mother's death, when his father became distant, John started to adopt his 'macho' mentality to gain his approval back. To prove this mentality, he began to pick on Teddy who was sensitive, skinny and delicate, ultimately being one of the catalysts for his self-steem issues. Teddy shows his darkest face around John, revealing he can't forgive him yet, and probably never.
- Wham Episode: Chapter 23.4: Vincent gets seriously injured in a skiing accident trying to follow Teddy, Louis and John find him. John finds out that Louis and Vincent are hooking up. When they return to the group, Louis (who calls Teddy a selfish asshole) and Vincent go to the hospital, John starts asking everyone about them, and turns out they all knew. Teddy, who didn't, hears them talking about Louis and Vincent, and Kamri tells him that they're fucking. And it's all left on a cliffhanger ending.
- Chapter 24 changes the whole focus of the plot so far, by solving the Will They or Won't They? between Teddy and Vincent and Vincent's Betty and Veronica dillema. Teddy and Vincent decide to stay friends, and Vincent says he is going to ask Louis out.
- Will They or Won't They?: Between Teddy and Vincent. They won't.