Web Animation: Apocalypse Lane
Actually not a terrible place to live, once you get to know the neighbors.
The sun came up and the bombs came down, nuclear fallout in a southern town, Apocalypse Lane you still look alright to me.Apocalypse Lane
is an animated web series created by Jon Etheridge and Bryan Mahoney for The Escapist
. It details the lives of a number of "people" who have survived the Apocalypse, all living in one cul-de-sac. It starts out fairly episodic, but develops a plot later on. It used to update every Thursday at noon, and episodes range from about 4.5 to 8 minutes in length. Episodes can be found here
The cast of characters includes:
- Steve: A relatively normal-looking guy with a sentient tumor named Marty on his shoulder. It is later revealed that Steve is the tumor, and Marty is the original being he grew out of. He has an on-and-off relationship with Knife Fight.
- Cuddles: A talking, three-legged cat. He loves to smoke cigars, drink, play poker and crap wherever he wants.
- Gladys: An alien elderly woman with tentacles for arms. Keeps bugging Steve about his roof (or lack thereof).
- Willy: An irradiated zombie cyborg who also happens to be stereotypically homosexual. His sexual tirades are about as unsexy as you can get.
- Hickey: The pastor, who advocates the worship of "The Rooster," the symbol of which is the rooster-shaped wind vane on top of one of the houses. He has a sock puppet named Stinky, which appears to be a separate being from Pastor Hickey and far more belligerent. When he drinks rum, he becomes a pirate; when he drinks a vodka martini, he becomes James Bond (as played by Sean Connery).
- Big Worm: The friendly neighborhood giant alien worm. Likes watching Mouseass a bit too much.
- Knife Fight: Steve's old flame, former leader of a gang. Often mistaken for a Butch Lesbian, though she is proud of her muscles.
- The Gamerz: Currently the most feared gang in the United States. Seemingly harmless, but actually most (if not all) are Ax-Crazy. Includes:
- Humangoid / Big Pete: The Master of the Gamerz at least until the mutiny. A stupid git with a lot of extra mass and almost zero shame. No one questions his authority, though, even when he gives everyone bizarre nicknames. He's also a cyborg!
- N: A sentient NES. The actual reason the Gamerz still function as a gang, constantly exasperated by Humangoid.
- Pumper: A jackalope(?) with a stick for shocking people and a sick sense of humor. Sounds remarkably like Kirby from There Will Be Brawl.
- Twitchy: The stereotypical nerd gamer. His weapons are a modified Power Glove and an NES Zapper.
- Frank: Willy's old lover. He also happens to be the owner of a gas station and a gecko.
- Also, Barack Obama shows up... and he hasn't done too well since the apocalypse. He's still the President, but he's become a little... unhinged. He is advised by Rico, a mutated Mexican cockroach.
- The Franklins. They are the epitome of creepy neighbors... until it is revealed that they're Marty's parents.
- Gulliver the vulture. Unadulterated horror.
This animation provides examples of:
"You know, normally I hate all of you guys, but when I'm taking your stuff... well, I feel like there's a bond."
- Stinky also counts even though he's actually just a part of Hickey's psychosis.
Willy: Well, that was an uneventful trip.
Father Hicky: Four, three, two, one...
(Frank, Pumper, and Twitchy burst in)