"Before he was a god, he was a man."God of War: Ascension is the seventh (chronologically first) installment in the God of War Series, released for the PlayStation 3 in 2013.Set six months after Ares tricked Kratos into killing his family, Kratos has renounced his service to the God of War... but is now pursued by the Furies, guardians of honor and enforcers of punishment. Kratos discovers that only by slaying the Furies will he ever be completely free of his bond to Ares.Notable for being the first GOW game to have a fully online multiplayer mode.
God of War: Ascension contains examples of the following tropes (Beware of unmarked spoilers):
- Abusive Parents: While not actively abusive, Ares conceived Orkos with Alecto with the sole intent of creating a perfect warrior to support his Evil Plan to overthrow Olympus, only to disown him when Orkos turned out to be a disappointment. Likewise, the Furies manipulated Orkos into aiding their work in punishing traitors and oathbreakers, only to imprison and presumably torture him when he turned on them to help Kratos.
- An Arm and a Leg: Kratos chops off Megaera's right arm.
- And I Must Scream: Aegaeon the Hecatonchires' fate certainly counts. For starters, when he broke his oath to Zeus, the Furies hunted him down and put him through the mother of all Fates Worse than Death: having his body hollowed out and turned into a giant prison for those who followed his example. And then Megaera uses her parasites to infest different parts of his body and turn them into monsters to fight Kratos. Judging by the way his eyes are moving when Megaera infests his head, he's still alive and fully conscious through it all.
- Arc Villain: The Furies, primarily Alecto.
- Bittersweet Ending: Kratos has successfully slain the Furies and freed himself from Ares... but is now plagued by the Bad Dreams and visions of his deceased family that will haunt him for years to come.
- Blue and Orange Morality: One of the notes from the Scribe of Hecatonchires states that the Furies "follow their own view of right and wrong."
- Body Horror:
- Aegaeon's entire body was hollowed out and converted into the Prison of the Damned. On top of that, while fighting Kratos, Megaera uses her Puppeteer Parasites to infest two of his arms, as well as his face, converting them into giant bug monsters under her control.
- Megaera spawns her parasites from some nasty-looking rash on her chest.
- Orkos bears several open, gaping wounds on his chest.
- Defector from Decadence: Orkos followed the Furies' orders without question... until he saw the injustice in Kratos' bond to Ares.
- Doomed by Canon: This is the first game in the timeline. The Furies are the primary villains, and we all know that Kratos successfully breaks free of his bond to Ares. Do the math.
- Due to the Dead: After Mercy Killing Orkos at his own request, Kratos makes him a funeral pyre.
- Even the Subtitler Is Stumped: When Megaera tries to set Aegaeon on Kratos, the PS3 has a meltdown.We will see how you fare against the (no suggestions)!
- Fire, Ice, Lightning: The Fire of Ares, the Ice of Poseidon, and the Lightning of Zeus, all powers Kratos gets as the game goes on.
- Has Two Mommies: Though Alecto is his birth mother, Orkos refers to all three of the Furies as his mothers.
- Optional Sexual Encounter: Subverted; so far, this is the first game in the series where Kratos doesn't have sex with random women for extra red orbs.
- Pet the Dog: It's quick but at one point, Kratos saves a guy from a spear.
- The Quiet One: Kratos is noticeably more silent than any other games, especially the first game where he spoke a lot. The number of words he said can be count in just two hands.
- Self-Duplication: Using the Oath Stone of Orkos, Kratos can create a shadowy clone of himself, which can aid in solving puzzles or fighting enemies.
- Shapeshifter Guilt Trip: When Kratos has the upper hand against her during their final fight, Alecto tries to use this on him by morphing into his wife Lysandra. It works for a brief moment before Kratos shakes it off and continues his assault.
- Womb Level: The bulk of the game's present day takes place in the Prison of the Damned, forged within the innards of Aegaeon the Hecatonchires.