"All the great warriors of my culture celebrate death. They welcome it. Dying in battle is considered a great honorů What a load of shit."Yaiba
—Yaiba, the protagonist
is a Beat' em All Action Game
that will come out in early 2014, result of a collaboration between Team Ninja and Sparks Unlimited, and directed by Keiji Inafune
. The protagonist is Yaiba
, a revived cybernetic ninja
who was killed by the legendary Dragon Ninja Ryu Hayabusa
and came back to life angry. Very.
In his search for his arch-enemy, he will slay his way through hundreds of not particularly bright zombies.
The first trailers show a very offensive gameplay veering on the Mass Beat 'em All type, a liberal use of Action Commands
, a visual aspects heavily inspired from Comic Books
, and an apparently darkly light tone, using an abundance of crude humour and profanity.
Oh, and there is Ninja Gaiden
in the title, making it a Spin-Off
to the series. The game is set to arrive on early 2014 for PS3
, 360, and PC. The latter which is a first time for Team Ninja to release a game for that system.
Yaiba provides examples of
- Anti-Hero: Possibly even a Villain Protagonist.
- Artificial Limbs: Yaiba has a robotic left arm, which he can launch to grab distant enemies (it's connected by a chain).
- Bloody Hilarious: Yeah, the zombies and the gore are certainly not meant to be scary here.
- Blood Knight: Yaiba, who else?
If you think I outfitted you with all this tech just so you can get another sword through your guts, then you are dumber than a sack of- Yaiba:
Yeah, yeah, yeah! Do you ever shut the fuck up?! Just set me loose and let me kill something!
- The Cameo: Special pre-orders in Japan come with a skin of Beck from Mighty No. 9.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: A truck crashing between two giant legs, on the roof a lingerie shop. Subtlety, folks.
- Expy: Some fans have compared Yaiba to Deadpool.
- Gaiden Game: Yes, this game is a Ninja Gaiden, um, gaiden.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: This isn't the first time Quinton Flynn has voiced a cyborg ninja.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Some of Yaiba's finishers are using a mini boss's own weapon against it.
- In Name Only: From what was shown, remove Ryu Hayabusa and the fact the protagonist is a Ninja, and you will be hard pressed to find anything remotely related to Ninja Gaiden in this game. Actually, Ninja Gaiden wasn't part of the title initially.
- Jerk Ass: Yaiba, full stop.
- Not Distracted by the Sexy: The trailer for Classic Mode ends with Yaiba's sexy Mission Control throwing herself at him...only for her advances to be ignored in favor of good ol' sake.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Only the pirate part is missing. So far.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Humů yeah, a bit.
- Stylistic Suck: The game will feature a retro-mode, full with 2D scrolling, 8-bit cutscenes and text in broken English.
- Swiss-Army Weapon: Yaiba's cybernetic arm can function as a grappling hook, has concealed blades, and a rocket thruster...and that's just what's revealed thus far.
- Zombie Apocalypse: Though the cause is yet unrevealed. Hayabusa's role in this game is trying to figure that out.