Video Game: Tails Adventure
Tails Adventure is an action RPG/adventure game in the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise. It was released for the Sega Game Gear in 1995. It is one of three spinoff games that Tails recieved, the other two being Tails' Skypatrol, which was also on the Game Gear, and Tails and the Music Maker, which was for the Sega Edutainment System, the Sega Pico.While taking a nap outside his workshop, Tails is woken by an explosion. Battle Kukku Army has invaded the island in order to find the Chaos Emeralds, and it's up to Tails to stop them.This title is different from other games in the Sonic series in that the emphasis is on visiting and revisiting different stages in a similar vein to Clash at Demonhead. Also, unlike previous titles, Tails actually reaps benefits from collecting just one Chaos Emerald (an increase in HP and Flight stamina).The Japanese manual says this game takes place before Tails first met Sonic, while the Western manual says it takes place after Sonic and Tails' last adventure and Tails is on vacation.It has a comic book tie-in in Sonic Universe, though it took a few liberties with the plot (such as it is). The Battle Kukku Army, referred to as the Battle Bird Armada, has since taken on a role as one of the major villain groups in Archie's Sonic series.
Tails Adventure features the following tropes:
- A Day in the Limelight: Tails.
- Awesome but Impractical: The Knuckles item.
- Bungling Inventor: Tails is shown in this light in the closing credits.
- Busman's Holiday: In the Western manual's story, this game takes place during Tails' vacation.
- Cool Boat/Cool Airship: The Sea Fox.
- Comic Book Adaptation: Issues #16-18 of Archie's Sonic Universe comic.
- Convection Schmonvection: Used in the Poloy's Forest level.
- Drop the Hammer: The Hammer item.
- End Game Results Screen: Post-credits, the game shows you your item collection ratio.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Tails is able to convert the Remote Robot so it changes into a submarine).
- Gaiden Game: A spinoff that features Tails as the main protagonist.
- Infinite Supplies: Tails never seems to run out of bombs.
- Kid Hero: Tails.
- Leitmotif: The title screen music is woven into a couple of other tunes in the game, serving as a somewhat downplayed leitmotif for Tails.
- Night-Vision Goggles: An item you can get that is required for one level.
- Prequel: According to the Japanese manual, this game takes place before Tails met Sonic.
- The Rival: Speedy.
- Robot Buddy: The Remote Robot.
- Self-Imposed Challenge: Beating the game with only one Chaos Emerald collected.note This leaves you with only 20 HP and a 6-second flight timernote to tackle the rather relentless latter half of the game. A total low-item completion run (using only the mandatory equipment) is also possible, to a point - the underwater cannon gauntlet that leads to Kukku Island is so punishing that getting through without the Mirror Armor is almost impossible.
- Sound Test: The Radio item acts as a portable Sound Test that you can use during gameplay.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Tails uses bombs as his main weapons.
- This Is a Drill: The Sea Fox's drill bit.
- Transforming Mecha: In three areas, the Remote Robot can transform into the Sea Fox.
- Overlord Jr.: Speedy is said to be the son of the leader of the Kukku army.
- The Unfought: In the Archie comic adaptation, Tails doesn't even meet Grand Battle Kukku 15th.
- Where Does He Get All Those Wonderful Toys?