Video Game: Pokémon False Red
A hacked Pokémon Fire Red
Rom, which centers on the protagonist, Fire or Leaf,
as they prepare to leave Pallet Town and start a journey to become the League champion
. The other characters, however, soon note the hero's remarkable resemblance to one Red, the previous 10-year-old Pokemon champion who went missing in his tragic quest to become the most powerful. The entire region is in a state of mourning, and the player is constantly stigmatized for "stealing" Red's story, solving the conflict of the plot despite the fact Red saved the day first. Your rival, Green, vows to train and stop you from taking this "story" from the missing Red.
This work provides examples of:
- Accidental Murder: It's implied that Fire/Leaf killed Green's Raticate during the battle at S.S.Anne.
- Adaptational Angst Upgrade: Fire/Leaf becomes a sadder character due the fact mostly everyone in Kanto hates them or constantly compares them to Red.
- Adaptational Villainy: Green is even bigger jerk than he usually is.
- Adult Fear: Poor Red's mom has to deal with her son disappearing, no one knows where he is or whether he's dead or alive.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Many trainers rip on the hero for looking like Red, and their accomplishments are belittled because Red did them all first.
- Alternate Universe: In the Elite Four stretch, there are several comments suggesting that you're playing in a different world than Red's, and that the story has changed somehow.
- Antagonist in Mourning: Green.
Green: I want my rival...no, I want my friend back.
- Anti-Poop Socking : "Quit."
- Arc Words: The pride of Kanto is never coming home.
- Come home.
- "This is not your story."
- Bait-and-Switch Comment: Constantly. People would compliment Fire then make a backhanded insult or outright threaten him.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Bill. At first, he seems to be a sad character when he mentions that Red humored him about his pokemon collection. Throughout the journey, he seems to be the only person to treat Fire/Leaf with any decency. Until Fire/Leaf helps Bill and his Sevii Islands counterpart, Celio. Then he drops this little gem:
- Blaine acts nice around Red but who programmed the personality quiz that asked mean questions?
- Brainwashed: The trainers on Victory Road all parrot the same "You're not him."
- Copy Cat Sue: Invoked and deconstructed; everyone knows Fire's a copycat and they all hate him for it.
- Deconstruction ROM Hack: Deconstruct the Copy Cat Sue/Possession Sue concepts in that Fire instantly recognized for not belonging to their world. The fact that Fire is repeating Red's journey and is also completing the Pokedex is mocked as it's seen that Fire has no unique accomplishments.
- Defeat Means Respect: Lt. Surge is the only one that seems to respect Fire while acknowledging that he's different from Red.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Nobody seems to care about your stopping Team Rocket. After all, Red did it first. In fact, the President of Silph Co., after being rescued, gives you the Master Ball — to deliver to Red, because it's not meant for you.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: You play as someone who looks like Red, but is not Red. Hence False Red.
- Famed In-Story: Red, although this works to Fire's detriment as he is despised for replacing their adored hero.
- Fangirl/Fan Boy: Red has many of these, including one in Team Rocket, they're all pissed at you imitating their hero.
- Flat Character: Arguably the main character is just a watercress dead ringer of Red. (A Red ringer, if you will.)
- Graceful Loser: Giovanni, though it helps he knows he going to lose just by destiny
- Hero with Bad Publicity: For the crime of looking like Red, the entire region of Kanto depises Fire.
- Hero-Worshipper: Red has a ton of them, who all hate Fire.
- History Repeats: According to Gary and Giovanni, this sequence of events has happened before with the same results
- I Will Wait for You: A fangirl in Mt.Moon says that she will wait for Red.
- In Universe Nickname: Fire is referred as "the little copy."
- Ideal Hero: Everyone, save the residents of the Sevii Islands, knows and idolizes Red.
- Identical Stranger: Fire, although Green begs to differ saying that once he looks up close Red and Fire don't look anything alike.
- Inadequate Inheritor: Everyone sees Fire as an inferior pathetic copy of Red and Gary wonders why he has Red's place.
- Innocently Insensitive: Copycat.
Copycat: Are you a copycat, too?
- It's Been Done: When a NPC finds out that Fire/Leaf is doing the Pokedex, all he says is that didn't someone else do that already.
- Then Erika says this of Fire/Leaf's cataloging.
You are cataloging Pokemon? I must say I'm impressed. It seems like a lost cause when it's already been done.
- Loony Fan: Fire has to deal with a lot of them.
- Mystery Arc: Where is Red? Who or what is Fire?
- No Name Given: With the exception of Gary and Giovanni, no one refers to Red or Fire by name.
- OOC Is Serious Business: All the Nurse Joys ask this of Fire/Leaf after healing your pokemon:
Please don't come back
- Pop Quiz / Player Personality Quiz: The quiz machines in Blaine's gym are changed to ask you disparaging questions like "Are you RED?" and "Should you keep playing?"
- Pretender Diss: Everyone insults Fire:
You're not him.
- Screw Destiny: Gary is constantly fighting you in hopes of stopping you from taking over Red's story, although he's always surprised if he actually beats you.
- Shaggy Dog Story: After you beat the champion, Green and Oak break the fourth wall, telling the player they don't want to play anymore. Then the game deletes your save file.
- ...or at least, it's SUPPOSED to delete your save file. Apparently, it's simply the hack creator taking advantage of VBA's default setting disabling in-game save for most Generation III Pokemon games.
- Silliness Switch: The option to play as Leaf — the female avatar — was not removed, but NPC's will still say that you look exactly like Red, who is a boy.
- Snow Means Death: One of the major changes with the hack is the ubiquity of falling snow whenever the player is outside (though it could also be volcanic ash, similar to Mt. Chimney's in the third gen games). This is likely meant to invoke Mt. Silver, Red's ultimate destination, and the theory that he died training or traveling there.
- Stepford Smiler: Professor Oak is seemingly one of few people not bothered by Red's disappearance and treats Fire like any other kid. Unless you check his PC, where you see an email stating, "I'm sorry, we couldn't find him." And that's not getting into when he broke the fourth wall.
- This Loser Is You
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth: Red to all of Kanto
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Green is a lot of vicious and angry towards Fire/Leaf, saying outright cruel things to them.
- The entire region of Kanto has evolved into massive jerks.
- Wham Line: "This is not a game."
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Invoked if you play as Leaf. Seems Red had some interesting hobbies.
- The World Mocks Your Loss: Inverted, the whole Kanto seems to be mourning Fire's death/disappearance and hate Fire for seemingly mocking their loss.
- Worthy Opponent: Red was this to Giovanni.
- You Can't Fight Fate: Giovanni doesn't bother to put up a fight, he knows that he's a puppet of a script.
- You Should Have Died Instead: A lot of people loathe Fire's existence and Green wonders why Fire is there when Red is gone.
"Why are you here when he's gone?"