is a 1996 platform game, published by Crystal Dynamics, for the PlayStation
, Sega Saturn
and PC. It features Fargus, a joker, and Nikki, a young sorceress, who unwittingly casts a spell that destroys the town. The goal of the game is to reach the Wishing Engine, where they can wish the town back to normal. For each level, the player can choose which character to be. Each has a special move — Fargus can deliver a special spinning attack by throwing his talking stick-puppet called Sid, and Nikki can double jump.
A sequel, Pandemonium 2
was released in 1997, for PlayStation
In the PlayStation
and Saturn versions, rather than using a memory card as in most games released at the time, progress is saved using the older password system.
This game series contains examples of:
- Bare Your Midriff: Nikki in both games.
- The Cameo: Nikki appears, in her Pandemonium 2 incarnation, in the ending of Gex: Enter the Gecko.
- Cloudcuckoo Lander: Fargus, in the sequel.
- Deadpan Snarker / Servile Snarker: Sid.
- Goomba Stomp: A common way of dispatching enemies.
- Here We Go Again: The ending of the first game, to an extent. "Oh boy, I think we're gonna need another wish!"
- Hot Witch: Nikki. Which version of her is hotter varies from person to person.
- Mad Bomber: Fargus, but only in the sequel.
- Multiple Endings: The ending of the second game depends on which character the player uses to complete it.
- Progressively Prettier: In the first game, Nikki is fairly plain-looking and innocent. In the sequel, she has become Hotter and Sexier, sports a completely different hairstyle (not to mention a different face), and a new, more ruthless, personality.