Video Game: Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles is a compilation release for PlayStation Portable from 2007, featuring a 2.5D remake of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, the original Rondo and its sequel Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.The game follows closely the original game's story, but features additional cutscenes with english voiceacting.For the examples concerning original Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night, see their respective pages.
The Dracula X Chronicles remake provides examples of:
- Bishonen Line: When you defeat both of Dracula's forms, he reverts back into his human shape, only to go into a third form, unique to Dracula X Chronicles, which is basically just his human form, with six bloodstained wings. The ensuing fight is much harder than either of his other forms.
- Boss Rush: Beating the game once unlocks the Boss Rush mode, with 4 different sets of bosses depending on the path(s) you chose in the game.
- Curse Cut Short: Richter starts staying "Son of a…" before cutting himself off while saving Maria from Shaft.
- Gotta Catch Them All: The game has collectable CD's which not only let you listen to the music in the Sound Test, but which can also be used to change the background music to customize your playing experience. They are necessary for the 100% Completion.
- Embedded Precursor: The original Dracula X games, which have to be found in the main game to be unlocked. Finishing the Boss Rush mode enough times unlocks the joke minigame Akumajo Dracula Peke.
- Horny Devils: Instead of being turned into a skull sorceress as in the SNES version of the original, Annette is instead transformed into a Brainwashed and Crazy succubus in a Stripperiffic cleavage-barring black lingerie.
- I Did What I Had to Do: As a demon hunter, this is Richter's justification for killing demon Annette if he fails to rescue her.
- I Was Beaten by a Girl: Dracula's reaction when defeated by Maria.
- Karma Houdini: Dracula becomes this if you fail to rescue all of the girls. Right after defeating his second form, the Prince of Darkness gets away with help from Shaft. Maria and Richter even express disappointment that Dracula got away.
- Magic Pants: Played straight with the Werewolf this time around, as he suddenly wears a little black loincloth when he turns back to human.
- Multiple Endings: You need to save both Iris and Terra in order to save Annette! If you do not save all of them, sorry, Shoot the Shaggy Dog. If you do, Everyone Lives Happily Ever After before Symphony of the Night comes — at least those who survived the events. Maria is not required to get a good ending. If you don't save her, she won't appear in the ending shot
- Nerf: The subweapons and item crashes do much less damage than in the original game. Dracula's first and second forms were also made slightly easier (he stays vulnerable for longer in his first form, and jumps are easier to dodge in the second), possibly to make way for his third form.
- No Flow in CGI: Why Maria wears pants instead of a dress and has her hair tied back.
- Off with His Head!: Grave Keeper enemy has a new death animation, where his head flies off while spurting blood.
- Ominous Latin Chanting: The boss theme from the original game is remixed into a fast-paced track featuring Latin vocals.
- Railroading: You will fight Death in the first playthrough. If you try to get a blue orb (which takes you to lower-path stages) in Stage 4 or 4', Death will appear (accompanied with an Evil Laugh) to change it to red, sending you to the Ghost Ship level where he resides.
- Rain of Blood: One of True Dracula's attacks is a blood storm.
- Scarf of Asskicking: The redesigned Richter now wears a white scarf.
- Sequential Boss: The final battle goes as thus: Dracula -> Demon Dracula -> winged Dracula in a weird distorted dimension.
- Stock Subtitle: Chronicles.
- The Swarm: Both Lesser Vampire and True Dracula have moves that has them attacking you with swarms of bats.
- Trick Boss: A single Water Hydra with the usual boss life bar threatens you at the end of Stage 5', but when you kill it and climb above it you find out it was just one head of the four-headed Hydra, and to take the monster out you must destroy its heart.
- True Final Boss: Dracula's third form can only be fought after you rescue all four kidnapped girls.
- Updated Re-release: Also doubling as a Compilation Re-release, because it also includes the original version of the game, a slightly improved version of Symphony of the Night, and even the joke mini-game Akumajo Dracula Pekenote
- "World of Cardboard" Speech: Richter gives one after beating the True Dracula.Richter: I'm a Belmont. That's my job.Dracula: Humanity will call me back.Richter: You're right. We never learn. But one day, we'll have to. And if you return, someone like me will be waiting for you.