Umbramatic here! I'm a huge fan of all sorts of stories across all forms of media. In particular, I like any decent fantasy and sci-fi, as long as it doesn't use too many of my pet peeve tropes, or use them too prominently. (In some cases, if the story is interesting enough, I may just ignore the pet peeve tropes and enjoy myself anyway.) I'm an aspiring fantasy writer and hope someday to write comics or novels, but I'll settle with nearly any form of storytelling to let my ideas loose. Unfortunately, I can sometimes have a hard time putting my ideas into writing. After going through what can best be described as a mental breakdown, I actually emerged on the idealistic side of the sliding scale of idealism vs cynicism, as hard as it can be. My new perspective is that being depressed sucks, so I''m continually disgusted with the way Holywood, critics, etc. glorify the depressing. As a result, I'm something of an angst avoider, though, again, if the work is interesting enough I may just watch/read /play it anyway. Additionally, the cynicism of cynical works can occasionally be far more tolerable when the work is funny. I like funny. The rest of the page is broken up into sections for whatever stuff I want to put on here.
open/close all folders
Tropes I like using in my writing
As an amateur writer, I use tropes all the time, but some stick out more than others. (Very much a WIP.)
- God Is Good: Most deities I write are good people... Except the truly evil ones, of course.
- God Is Flawed: At the same time, they aren't perfect.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: This one I just always thought was cool.
- Humanity Ensues: I'm a sucker for this one, especially when it explores how weird being human is.
- Large Ham: Mainly played for laughs.
- Living Forever Is Awesome: Sort of? I mostly just avoid writing typical immortal angst because it bores me.
- Smug Snake: At least, some of my villains have been described as such.
- Batman Gambit: Ahaha! You played right into my hands by reading this!
- Our Monsters Are Different: I love coming up with my own spins on fantasy creatures.
- MacGuffin Girl: Granted, I used this once and may not use it again, but it was fun when I did use it.
- The Multiverse: These are fun, to the point of being central to one WIP.
- Shout-Out: To pretty much anything I like, but especially Pokemon - if it isn't a Pokefic already!
- Mayfly-December Romance: Due to some of the above tropes this happens a lot...
- Eternal Love: But so does this.
- Interspecies Romance: Though I avoid being squicky.
- Starfish Aliens: Wayne Barlowe cemented my love of these.
- Eldritch Abomination: Though they're not always evil.
- Reconstruction: I prefer rebuilding tropes, concepts and genres over taking them apart.
- Immortality Begins at Twenty: In conjunction with the above.
- Laughably Evil: I like writing for and reading/watching all sorts of villains, but my favorites for both are villains who are outright funny or witty while still being very powerful and dangerous.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: Often with other complications aside from "temporal".
I'm a huge fan of Pokémon, and I've been so since its inception. So, it's only natural that I help with The Pokédex - Extended Fanon Edition . For the sake of keeping track (as well as blatant self-promotion), here's all the articles I've written (or rewritten) in order by National Dex number:
-  Ratatta Line (Revision)
-  Spearow Line (Revision)
-  Horsea Line (Revision)
-  Electabuzz Line
-  Cyndaquil Line (In collaboration with Tracer Bullet.)
-  Swinub Line
-  Seviper
-  Duskull Line (In collaboration with Tracer Bullet.)
-  Darkrai (In collaboration with Neo_Crimson )
-  Darumaka Line
-  Mienfoo Line
-  Golett Line
-  Vullaby Line
-  Tornadus
-  Thundurus
-  Tyrunt Line (With Garrus01)
- Dream World
Also on the subject of Pokemon... I've been part of the RP We Are All Pokémon Trainers for over two years now, and it's been one heck of a wild ride. Here is an in-progress list of some highlights, both large and small. (Warning, heavy It Makes Sense in Context involved. If that's a problem just skip.) My first post. A reveal! (Long story behind that one, which I may also post here eventually.) ...And the heartwarming aftermath. A bedtime story for a post-apocalyptic world. The backstory of one particular Shiny Salamence. And she dreamed of para, para, paradise~ Ship = canon~ The tragic tale of two villains. The life of a germaphobic Rotom. The beginning of my first anniversary celebration~ (It extends several pages past that, if you want to see all of it.) A weirdness search. Near-Breakup! (Don't worry, it gets better) Ammy's beatdown of Ransei!Umbra. Wham. Beating a champ with style. Mega Metagross Vs. Marowak If you happen to be in the RP with me and know any more, feel free to suggest them. Additionally, a quote of mine that was sigged (well, half of it is mine): "HOW THE [FRILLISH] DID A MONKEY GET AHOLD OF MY HUSBAND'S SWORDS?!" "<It was a magical monkey~>" Also "Speak of the ghost lord and find him in your hat..."
Want something other than PEFE and R Ping? Here's an index of my fanfics: The Long March Of Time: My first-ever posted fanfic, detailing my own take on the Pokemon world's history. Old, kinda bad, and permanently unfinished for reasons, but still fond of some parts and it's where I got my start, so I still listed it here. FFnet, Bulbagarden (Slightly less bad) Green And White: Oneshot focusing on the story of Pokemon White (and some ancient history) from Reshiram's perspective. A few lines feel... weird to read now, but it's always been relatively popular on F Fnet and I'm actually planning out a sequel because I want to revisit Reshiram and N as characters. FFnet Caging Destruction: A oneshot featuring the antics of Yveltal and Dialga's attempts to keep her in line. My first fic to be posted after a long hiatus, it was written as a Spiritual Successor to a contest entry I felt was too flawed to publish. FFnet, Serebii, Bulbagarden Crater Dreams: Another oneshot. Like Caging Destruction, this was originally a story written for a contest. Unlike Caging Destruction, I actually revised the entry rather than overhauling it into a new story from scratch. As for what it's about... Well, you know how in ORAS Wallace mentions he's the descendant of the ancient Sootopolans? This goes into a bit more detail on that. FFnet, Serebii, Bulbagarden
Vandalism and such goes here: Umbramatic