Umbramatic here! I'm a huge fan of all sorts of stories across all forms of media. In particular, I like any decent fantasy and sci-fi, as long as it doesn't use too many of my pet peeve tropes, or use them too prominently. (In some cases, if the story is interesting enough, I may just ignore the pet peeve tropes and enjoy myself anyway.) I'm an aspiring fantasy writer and hope someday to write comics or novels, but I'll settle with nearly any form of storytelling to let my ideas loose. Since I suffer from depression and anxiety, I actually try my hardest to stay on the idealistic side of the sliding scale of idealism vs cynicism, as hard as it can be. My perspective is that being depressed sucks, so I''m continually annoyed with the way Holywood, critics, etc. glorify the depressing. As a result, I'm something of an angst avoider, though, again, if the work is interesting enough I may just watch/read /play it anyway. The rest of the page is broken up into sections for whatever stuff I want to put on here.
open/close all folders
Tropes I like using in my writing
As an amateur writer, I use tropes all the time, but some stick out more than others. (Very much a WIP.)
- God Is Good: Most deities I write are good people... Except the truly evil ones, of course.
- God Is Flawed: At the same time, they aren't perfect.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: This one I just always thought was cool.
- Humanity Ensues: I'm a sucker for this one, especially when it explores how weird being human is.
- Large Ham: Mainly played for laughs.
- Living Forever Is Awesome: Sort of? I mostly just avoid writing typical immortal angst because it bores me.
- Smug Snake: At least, some of my villains have been described as such.
- Batman Gambit: Ahaha! You played right into my hands by reading this!
- Our Monsters Are Different: I love coming up with my own spins on fantasy creatures.
- MacGuffin Girl: Granted, I used this once and may not use it again, but it was fun when I did use it.
- The Multiverse: These are fun, to the point of being central to one WIP.
- Shout-Out: To pretty much anything I like, but especially Pokemon - if it isn't a Pokefic already!
- Mayfly-December Romance: Due to some of the above tropes this happens a lot...
- Eternal Love: But so does this.
- Interspecies Romance: Though I avoid being squicky.
- Starfish Aliens: Wayne Barlowe cemented my love of these.
- Eldritch Abomination: Though they're not always evil.
- Reconstruction: I prefer rebuilding tropes, concepts and genres over taking them apart.
- Immortality Begins at 20: In conjunction with the above.
- Laughably Evil: I like writing for and reading/watching all sorts of villains, but my favorites for both are villains who are outright funny or witty while still being very powerful and dangerous.
- Fish Out of Temporal Water: Often with other complications aside from "temporal".
I'm a huge fan of Pokémon, and I've been so since its inception. So, it's only natural that I help with The Pokédex - Extended Fanon Edition . For the sake of keeping track (as well as blatant self-promotion), here's all the articles I've written (or rewritten) in order by National Dex number:
-  Ratatta Line (Revision)
-  Spearow Line (Revision)
-  Horsea Line (Revision)
-  Electabuzz Line
-  Cyndaquil Line (In collaboration with Tracer Bullet.)
-  Swinub Line
-  Seviper
-  Duskull Line (In collaboration with Tracer Bullet.)
-  Darkrai (In collaboration with Neo_Crimson )
-  Darumaka Line
-  Mienfoo Line
-  Golett Line
-  Vullaby Line
-  Tornadus
-  Thundurus
-  Tyrunt Line (With Garrus01)
- Dream World
Also on the subject of Pokemon... I've been part of the RP We Are All Pokémon Trainers for over three years now, and it's been one heck of a wild ride. Here is an in-progress list of some highlights, both large and small. (Warning, heavy It Makes Sense in Context involved. If that's a problem just skip.) My first post. A reveal! (Long story behind that one, which I may also post here eventually.) ...And the heartwarming aftermath. A bedtime story for a post-apocalyptic world. The backstory of one particular Shiny Salamence. And she dreamed of para, para, paradise~ Ship = canon~ The tragic tale of two villains. The life of a germaphobic Rotom. The beginning of my first anniversary celebration~ (It extends several pages past that, if you want to see all of it.) A weirdness search. Near-Breakup! (Don't worry, it gets better.) Ammy's beatdown of Ransei!Umbra. Wham. Beating a champ with style. Mega Metagross Vs. Marowak. Bye-bye Odin. If you happen to be in the RP with me and know any more, feel free to suggest them. Additionally, a quote of mine that was sigged (well, half of it is mine): "HOW THE [FRILLISH] DID A MONKEY GET AHOLD OF MY HUSBAND'S SWORDS?!" "<It was a magical monkey~>" Also "Speak of the ghost lord and find him in your hat..."
Want something other than PEFE and R Ping? Here's an index of my fanfics:
The BeginningI've been coming up with fanfic ideas since I was 12. While the very oldest and most expansive idea eventually got retooled into an original story I'm still developing to this day (as of this writing its current version is best described as "Teen Titans meets Doctor Who with a pinch of crack") there were many other ideas that never materialized and attempts that were never published. It was only after a bit of practice writing short stories during middle and high school that I ever actually posted my first attempt at fanfic: The Long March Of Time: My first-ever posted fanfic, detailing my own take on the Pokemon world's history. Old, kinda bad, and permanently unfinished for reasons, but still fond of some parts and it's where I got my start, so I still listed it here. FFnet, Bulbagarden (Slightly less bad)
The Poke-FicversePart of the reason I abandoned Long March of Time was that my view of the Pokemon world was changed in ways that made me feel I couldn't continue it as is. However, not long afterward I wrote a oneshot called Green and White (seen below) and after a long hiatus from fanfic, I started getting a number of new ideas and decided to use Green and White as the starting point for making them all part of a shared Pokeverse of my own. Said Pokeverse is heavily based on my headcanons for the main series games... But since I often incorporate things from other parts of the franchise (including WAAPT and to a lesser extent PEFE) into said headcanon they're liable to show up in the ficverse too, sometimes as the central focus of the story. So far, the stories of the ficverse consist of: Green And White: Oneshot focusing on the story of Pokemon White (and some ancient history) from Reshiram's perspective. A few lines feel... weird to read now, but it's always been relatively popular on F Fnet and I eventually wrote a sequel. FFnet Caging Destruction: A oneshot featuring the antics of Yveltal and Dialga's attempts to keep her in line. My first fic to be posted after a long hiatus, it was written as a Spiritual Successor to a contest entry I felt was too flawed to publish. FFnet, Serebii, Bulbagarden Crater Dreams: Another oneshot. Like Caging Destruction, this was originally a story written for a contest. Unlike Caging Destruction, I actually revised the entry rather than overhauling it into a new story from scratch. As for what it's about... Well, you know how in ORAS Wallace mentions he's the descendant of the ancient Sootopolans? This goes into a bit more detail on that. FFnet, Serebii, Bulbagarden Truth: That Green And White sequel I mentioned earlier. N and Reshiram try to live normal lives but things go awry fast. FFnet, Serebii, Bulbagarden.
Non-Pokemon FicsI... don't have any yet. However, I have a lot of ideas for some, and want to do at least one of those to get out of my comfort zone. Also, I never attempted a Kingdom Hearts fic, nope.
Vandalism and such goes here: Umbramatic