Series: Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell
A live action comedy series on [adult swim].The show follows the day to day routine of Gary, a damned soul working in Hell. As it turns out, Hell is a cubicle farm type setting, where maiming and torturing are just another part of the job. And on top of everything, Gary is amazingly inept at his job, which often ends with Satan punishing him by episode's end.
Tropes featured in this show:
- Bloody Hilarious
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: Gary suffers one at the end of every episode. As does the the unlucky soul he usually has to torment.
- Claude surprisingly get this in the sixth episode. Though its not a punishment so much as a "reward".
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: The Devil naturally.
- Celestial Bureaucracy: How Hell is usually depicted as being run as a business which deals in trying to gain new souls or just spread general corruption and chaos.
- Heaven is much the same, just with a lot less chaos and corruption and a lot more golf. At least, 'til Claude through Gary succeeds in blowing it up.
- Deal with the Devil: The first episode deals with a baseball player who made one of these, and several other episodes have this as a theme as well.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The original short, which involved a seminar and attempting to escape from a one-way trip to hell, bears almost no resemblance to the series.
- Exact Words: Satan tells everyone that he's giving some positive reinforcement by having a water cooler brought in. Whoever gets the most souls in one day gets "as much water as they can take-err drink". Sure enough, Claude wins at the end of the day, and gets all the water he can take.Satan: "Do you know what waterboarding is?"
- A young man who takes a tour of Hell asks to be returned to Earth... and gets teleported to China.
- Failure Is the Only Option: Pretty much the point of the show as Gary can't do anything right.
- Though not to say it doesn't work in Gary's favor sometime as in the sixth episode where his usual bumbling actually avoids one of Satan's punishments.
- Fire and Brimstone Hell: Fire and lava, right next to cubicles and desks.
- Grossout Show: On occasion.
- Horned Humanoid: Wouldn't be demons without horns. And just to prove how big a chump he is, Gary's are off center and one points downwards.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: Claude, Gary's intern, is far better at his job than Gary is.
- Loser Protagonist: Gary both when he was a human and as a demon.
- Manipulative Bastard: Claude as the series goes on, constantly gives Gary false information to get him out of the way so he can climb the corporate ladder. He later engineers a plot to blow up Heaven using Gary as an unwitting mole, which succeeds!
- Minion with an F in Evil: Gary just fails at his job due to the fact he can't even do the most basic evil actions.
- Multiple Head Case: Cerberus is sapient and capable of talking here; the middle head is a vocal anti-semite, the head to the left has a british accent and the head to the right is a ditzy runt.
- Not So Above It All: Claude cries in the beginning of the pilot the "I'm not supposed to be here!" By the middle of the episode, though, Claude not only begins competing with, but flat out proves to be a far better demon than Gary.
- The Password Is Always Swordfish: Gary's Summon Word: Summonword.
- Professional Butt-Kisser: Claude as the series goes on.
- Shout-Out: The series is titled after a song by The Stooges.
- The fourth episode of Season 2 (True Love Will Find You) does so rather blatantly with What Dreams May Come.
- The Sleepless: A joke played on new arrivals. They're handed sleeping material, and told to find their bunk. The joke being that there are none, and sleep never comes. Ever.
- Troll: The Devil, alot of what he says usually has hidden meanings. Such as telling Gary to "take a break" which turns out be a small room with grinding gears.