Land of the Lost is a 1991-1992 ABC Saturday morning children's program, and a remake of the 1974 series of the same name.Compared to the original it has a different theme song, a different family, a different design for the Sleestak, and better special effects that struck a different chord with a lot of people. It also features as a regular character a blonde-haired "wild girl" who grew up in the Land, and who, while never actually identified as such, could arguably be interpreted as the grown-up version of Holly from the series' first incarnation (indeed, that was the intention but casting choices led to this idea being dropped).The Porter family — father Tom, son Kevin, and daughter Annie — are trapped in a parallel universe after their Jeep Cherokee fell through a time portal while exploring the back country.Inside this parallel universe, the Porters come across an ill-tempered Tyrannosaurus rex known as "Scarface," a race of barbarian-like lizard people known as Sleestaks, and countless other dangers. However, amongst these dangers are a few helpful allies to the Porters. These allies include Christa, a beautiful cave-woman who was trapped in the Land of the Lost when she was a little girl, Tasha, a baby Parasaurolophus whose mother was killed by Scarface, and Stink, a member of a race of monkey-like people known as the Pakuni.
Land of the Lost provides examples of:
- Achilles' Heel: The alien cyborg was shown to be powerful enough it should've dominated everything else in the show...except for how it weakens extremely quickly in an oxygen-rich atmosphere. Its visual scanners could also be fooled by a 1980s camera.
- Face–Heel Turn: Annie in "The Crystal" after finding Shung's power crystal. She gets better near the end of the episode.
- Future Slang: Spoken by time-traveling teen Simon Cardenas.
- Hufflepuff House: The underground main Sleestak civlization, all we ever see are their artifacts from the ancient time when they lived on the surface, and three criminals who they exiled to the surface.
- Lost Technology: Various ancient Sleestak devices and weapons.
- Meaningful Name: "Scarface," due to him having a scar through his right eye.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Shung, the leader and most intimidating of the three Sleestak exiles.
- Ninja Pirate Robot Zombie: Cy, an alien cyborg time traveler from the future.
- Outnumbered Sibling: The Sorceress had several brothers. When Annie asked her how she survived, she said she turned them into toads. Annie entertained the thought of doing it to Kevin.
- Sufficiently Advanced Bamboo Technology: much of the aforementioned ancient Sleestak devices resemble artifacts of rocks and glowing crystals. Not quite Crystal Spiresand Togas though, the Sleestaks have a much more archaic vibe going on, although they never actually show their entire (underground) civilization, just the three criminals they exiled to the surface.