Series / Land of the Lost (1991)
Land of the Lost
is a 1991-1992 ABC Saturday morning children's program, and a remake of the 1974 series of the same name
Compared to the original it has a different theme song, a different family, a different design for the Sleestak, and better special effects that struck a different chord with a lot of people. It also features as a regular character a blonde-haired "wild girl" who grew up in the Land, and who, while never actually identified as such, could arguably be interpreted
as the grown-up version of Holly from the series' first incarnation (indeed, that was the intention but casting choices led to this idea being dropped).
The Porter family — father Tom, son Kevin, and daughter Annie — are trapped in a parallel universe after their Jeep Cherokee fell through a time portal while exploring the back country.
Inside this parallel universe, the Porters come across an ill-tempered Tyrannosaurus rex
known as "Scarface," a race of barbarian-like lizard people known as Sleestaks, and countless other dangers. However, amongst these dangers are a few helpful allies to the Porters. These allies include Christa, a beautiful cave-woman who was trapped in the Land of the Lost when she was a little girl, Tasha, a baby Parasaurolophus
whose mother was killed by Scarface, and Stink, a member of a race of monkey-like people known as the Pakuni.
Land of the Lost provides examples of:
- Achilles' Heel: The alien cyborg was shown to be powerful enough it should've dominated everything else in the show...except for how it weakens extremely quickly in an oxygen-rich atmosphere.
- Face–Heel Turn: Annie in "The Crystal" after finding Shung's power crystal. She gets better near the end of the episode.
- Future Slang: Spoken by time-traveling teen Simon Cardenas.
- Meaningful Name: "Scarface," due to him having a scar through his right eye.
- Ninja Pirate Robot Zombie: Cy, an alien cyborg time traveler from the future.
- Outnumbered Sibling: The Sorceress had several brothers. When Annie asked her how she survived, she said she turned them into toads. Annie entertained the thought of doing it to Kevin.