Recap: The X Files S 01 E 17 EBE
Near the border between Iraq and Turkey, an Iraqi fighter pilot shoots down a UFO. Later, a truck driver in Tennessee named Ranheim sees another UFO, and starts shooting in the dark. Mulder and Scully investigate the sighting, but are turned away, causing them to turn to the Lone Gunmen, a trio of conspiracy theorists that Mulder is friends with. Meanwhile, a mysterious figure calling himself Deep Throat informs Mulder of the Iraqi UFO incident.Investigation of Ranheim's truck reveals discrepancies in his cargo, causing Mulder and Scully to attempt to track it down. After putting up with some attempted manipulation from Deep Throat and attempts to spy on them, they track down Ranheim and his truck in Washington state, finding out that he was transporting the UFO's pilot (an "extraterrestrial biological entity", or an E.B.E.) to the town of Mattawa, Washington.Here, Mulder and Scully infiltrate the power plant where they believe the E.B.E. is being held. There, they learn from Deep Throat that, after the Roswell crash, the world's great powers made a secret agreement to destroy any live extraterrestrials. Deep Throat himself is one of three people who personally killed an alien, and his guilt over doing so is part of the reason why he is helping Mulder and Scully. He then lets them go free.
- Artistic License – History: An arguable case. Three of the powers named by Deep Throat in the post-Roswell agreement on ET policy are the People's Republic of China and the two Germanies. The Chinese Civil War was still ongoing in 1947 (the year of the Roswell crash), with the PRC only recognized by the Soviet Union and the Kuomintang still holding the lion's share of China's territory and population, while East and West Germany were still the occupied territories of, respectively, the Soviet Union and the Western Allies. However, it's not stated the exact year the agreement was made; if it were made in 1949 or after, then all three of those countries would have been around to sign it.
- Being Watched: Mulder and Scully. Scully's pen gets bugged, and Mulder's apartment is under surveillance as well.
- Bat Signal: Blue glowing light coming out of Mulder's apartment to make contact with Deep Throat.
- Conspiracy Theorist: The Lone Gunmen (Byers, Frohike, and Langly) were introduced in this episode. And of course, there's Mulder.
- Government Conspiracy: This was the first episode written specifically for the series' Myth Arc.
- Insufficiently Advanced Alien
- Inspired By: Writer Glen Morgan cited All The Presidents Men as a major inspiration for the episode.
- Make the Bear Angry Again: The Lone Gunmen speculate that the radical Russian nationalist Vladimir Zhirinovsky is a CIA plant meant to do this.
- Mysterious Informant: Deep Throat.
- Myth Arc
- Properly Paranoid
- The Only One I Trust: The first of many times Scully and Mulder will say it.Scully: Mulder, you're the only one I trust.Mulder: Then you're gonna have to trust me.
- Averted with Mulder and the Lone Gunman, one of whom turns on a tape recorder when Mulder calls, and falsely claims to have turned it off. The FBI has had no shortage of Agent Provocateur operations, after all.
- We Will Not Use Photoshop in the Future: Mulder is married to idea that Deep Throat's UFO photo is real.