Recap: The X Files S 01 E 13 Beyond The Sea
A serial killer claims to have physic powers and offers to put Scully in touch with her recently deceased father if she will help him avoid execution.
- Berserk Button: Scully snaps at Boggs because she thinks he set them up and got Mulder shot when they were looking for the kidnapper."If he dies because of what you've done, four days from now nobody will stop me from being the one that'll throw the switch and gas you out of this life for good, you son of a bitch!"
- Burial at Sea: Captain William Scully's funeral. He is cremated and buried this way while Bobby Darin's "Somewhere Beyond the Sea" (his and Maggie's wedding song) plays in the background. Scully is upset, saying that her father was entitled to a full burial at Arlington, while her mother replies that he would have wanted it this way.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Two teenagers were kidnapped and tortured severely by a man who was reliving an accident in which his family died.
- Continuity Nod: Max Fenig's NICAP cap is seen in Mulder's office.
- Death Row: Serial Killer Boggs is condemned to an impending execution in the gas chamber.
- Gas Chamber: Boggs' capital punishment.
- Gunman with Three Names: One of many memorable serial killers with three names: Luther Lee Boggs.
- I See Dead People: Scully sees her recently deceased father at the beginning of the episode. It is very creepy, and it makes Scully look for some X-files title Visionary Encounters with The Dead. Boggs seems to be channelling him later, too.
- It Always Rains at Funerals: It's rainy on Scully's father's funeral and his mourners wear big black umbrellas.
- Jerkass Ball: Mulder holds a jerkass ball for this episode. He's compassionate and genuinely feels for Scully dealing with her loss and actually calls her "Dana" several times, but he also mocks her for only slightly tending to believe in Boggs. Moreover, he reproaches her for following his leads and then for not admitting the truth to the investigating team. When she returns to her rational explanation at the end, Mulder backs off and asks her why she cannot believe after all she has seen. He was seriously messing with her, probably still not trusting her entirely.
- Knuckle Tattoos: Boggs has KISS and KILL tattooed on his knuckles.
- No OSHA Compliance: The climactic chase scene takes place in an abandoned brewery that is falling apart. The villain steps through a wooden plank bridge and falls several floors to his death.
- Not-So-Phony Psychic: Was Boggs only pretending his channelling? Some of his visions happened to be hits.
- Over-the-top Christmas Decorations: Scully's flat is full of Christmas decorations, which is kind of over-the-top, especially considerig she's a single and career-oriented woman. She has her parents visiting and her father comments on it.Scully's father: Are you going to leave this up all year?Scully: Yup. All year. Since you always made us take the Christmas tree down the day after Christmas, I'm making up for lost time.
- Phone-Trace Race: The team prepares to trace a call because they expect that Boggs will call the kidnapper who they think is his accomplice. However, he calls Mulder's mobile phone instead. It's never explained how he got to know Mulder's number.
- Phony Psychic: Mulder's opinion of Boggs — he thinks Boggs is full of crap.
- The Profiler: Mulder's writing a profile on Boggs is an important plot point.
- Psychic Powers: Boggs seems to be a real psychic. Mulder doesn't believe him, but he did know Mulder's cell phone number for one thing.
- Race Against the Clock: The team has five days to find a pair of kidnapped teenagers who are tortured and will be found dead if the offender is not caught.
- Serial Killer: Luther Lee Boggs who slashed several people (two longs rows of them), including his whole family.
- Well Done Daughter Gal: Was Scully's father proud of her? Was it right to give up practising medicine and join the Bureau?