Recap: The X Files S 01 E 11 Eve
Mulder: Why were the men after your father?
Teena: To exsanguinate him.
Two men are murdered in identical fashions, both in front of their daughters. On opposite coasts of the USA. And the daughters are identical too. Yep, this is an X File.
- A Good Name for a Rock Band: Literally — rock band Eve 6 took their name from this episode.
- Alien Abduction: Subverted. This X-File was one of the cases when all Mulder's theories were wrong.
- Aliens Steal Cattle: Subverted. Mulder presents Scully some pictures of exsanguinated cows, and his theory involves extraterrestrial forces. Mulder's theory is usually correct to certain degree, but in this case he was completely off.
Scully: Mulder, why would alien beings travel light years through space in order to play doctor on cattle?
- Artistic License – Biology: Apparently, having ten extra chromosomes makes you super strong, super smart, and super crazy. As opposed to just causing birth defects. (But of course, this is The X-Files.)
- Ax-Crazy: Cindy, Teena, and the Adams and Eves from the original Litchfield experiment. Eve 7, however, subverts it, as she was apparently raised by one of the scientists from the project, who helped her learn how to control her behavior. Cindy and Teena are even more Ax-Crazy than their predecessors, due to Eve 7's attempted genetic tinkering Gone Horribly Wrong.
- The Big Board: Mulder prepares a slide show to present Scully the case.
- Cloning Blues: All Eves are psychotic with suicidal and homicidal tendencies.
- Coordinated Clothes: In the second half of the episode, the murderous girls wear matching red hellish outfits. It was probably a case of I Just Knew or Eve 7 might have bought the outfits for them. Their identical looks make them even more disturbing.
- Creepy Child: Teena and Cindy are very creepy and very dangerous children.
- Creepy Twins: Technically Teena and Cindy aren't twins but clones. However, a lot of the creepiness comes from their identical appearance. They looked especially hellish in their red matching outfits.
- The End... Or Is It?: The girls are caught and imprisoned. However a visiting doctor turns out to be the missing Eve 8.
- Enfant Terrible: Cute but psychotic little girls with growing homicidal tendencies definitely fit the trope.
- Evil Laugh: Evil, evil laugh. And crazy, too. Courtesy of Eve 6.
- Evilutionary Biologist: Adams and Eves were created in a secret government project, and the adult Eves tried to carry on, even though they were aware of what problems their very existence created and how psychotic all the clones really were.
- Eye Scream: According to Eve 6, it's a sign of affection. She bit her guard's eye.
- Fingertip Drug Analysis: Mulder has a lick of digitalis.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Frasier's manager is an Eve. Turns out she WAS evil, after all!
- I Just Knew: "We just knew." The girls work together in a spine-chilling coordination.
- Man Bites Man: Eve 6, the Eye Scream variety:
: I paid too much attention to a guard. Bit into his eyeball. (chatters her teeth) I meant it as a sign of affection. (laughs
- Meaningful Name: The clones are named Adams and Eves, referencing the first humans of biblical mythology.
- Missing Time: It's a part of Mulder's alien abduction theory.
Mulder: Witnesses often relate time loss. We've seen this in abduction cases. That might explain why the girl can't remember anything.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: The girls have flashes of high-brow conversation and they use sophisticated words.
- Slipping a Mickey: A part of the girls' modus operandi: they slip poisonous digitalis into people's soda drink. Digitalis is very sweet and soda masks its taste.
- Sniff Sniff Nom: Mulder smells and tastes green substance he found on their table at the truck stop.
- Super Soldier: Eves' origin. They were created in a government's secret cloning project that meant to develop superior humans with extraordinary strength and extraordinary intelligence. It also gave them extraordinary psychoses, complete with suicidal and murderous tendencies.
- Tuckerization: Cindy and Teena are named after the writers' (Kenneth Biller and Chris Brancato) wives.
- Twin Telepathy: They just knew. The way they were able to work together was really disturbing.
- Waxing Lyrical: Eve 6 very nearly quotes from "I am the Walrus."
- Would Hurt a Child: Sally Kendrick, aka Eve 7, puts a gun to a girl's head to make Mulder back off, knowing she's psychopathic and capable of shooting her.
- You Are Number Six: In the government super soldier project, cloned boys were named Adams and cloned girls were called Eves. They were appropriately numbered.