Recap / The X-Files S01 E14 "Gender Bender"
Investigating a man who died of an overdose of pheremones, Mulder and Scully are led to an Amish-like community called the Kindred and a killer who can change between male and female forms.
- Cross-Cast Role: Averted. Rather than have one person play Marty's male and female forms, producers wanted two actors. Kate Twa was hired first, so casting looked for a man who could reasonably resemble her.
- Crop Circles: After the aliens leave at the end of the episode, Mulder and Scully come across a large crop circle in the field. It's implied it's a print of their spaceship.
- Death by Sex: Sleeping with the aliens is almost inevitably fatal to the human.
- Gender Bender: The episode's title is Exactly What It Says on the Tin. The aliens can switch genders at will.
- Human Aliens: The monsters of the week look exactly like humans.
- Living Aphrodisiac: The aliens themselves.
- Monster of the Week: Even though the episode featured aliens (apparently), this was the only time when they made an appearance and they were not a part of the mythology.
- Mystery Cult: The Kindred.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: There's so much going on with the Monsters of the Week that it gets a bit overwhelming. They're human-looking aliens who have no resemblance to any other aliens in the show, who switch genders after they have sex, and also kill their sex partners. And they're not very good-looking, but their touch can seduce. And there's something going on with the clay they use. Oh, and they're immortal. And as if all that wasn't enough, they have a No Communities Were Harmed Amish schtick going on as well.
- Stepford Suburbia: Except with the Amish