Recap: The X Files S 01 E 06 Shadows
- Chekhov's Gun: Mulder used the lenses of his normally Purely Aesthetic Glasses to sneak the victim's fingerprints.
- CIA Evil, FBI Good: Subverted. The other pair of agents try using Mulder and Scully to investigate the paranormal, but they deliberately withhold information from them and accuse them of blowing their case. However, they later collaborate and more FBI agents get involved. CIA gets mentioned again, but the agents didn't say which organization they worked for and they never introduced themselves.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive
- Executive Meddling: The rumour has it that the network insisted that the creators write more episodes where Mulder and Scully help people.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: The other pair of agents are of the same height as Mulder and Scully.
- I Lied: Mulder did, though not in a sinister way. Mulder lies to the agents who called him, saying he can't help them, as he's never seen anything like their case before. Given the team was stingy on the details, it was more of a snarky revenge.
Scully: You lied. You have seen this before, I can tell. You lied to them.
Mulder: I would never lie. I willfully participated in a campaign of misinformation.
- Jurisdiction Friction: CIA vs. FBI.
- Scully goes back to confirm that Graves really died and the coroner is not very pleased but there is no major problem.
- Meaningful Name: Howard Graves.
- Papa Wolf: Howard Graves
- Poltergeist: Mulder initially thinks one of these might have attached itself to Lauren.
- Shout Out: Scully's quote of "They're heeere", referencing Poltergeist.
- When Mulder mentions he thinks Lauren had psychokinesis, Scully also says, "You mean how Carrie got even at the prom?"
- Stock Episode Titles: 29 uses