Mulder and Scully head out to Atlantic City to investigate some murders that look (at least to Mulder) suspiciously like reports in the X Files of the Jersey Devil in the 1940s. Also: Scully goes on a date with a divorced dad who seems unable to go two sentences without bringing up his kids.
- Bigfoot, Sasquatch and Yeti: Add to that The X-Files' take on The Jersey Devil.
- Distressed Dude: Mulder is tackled down by the female Jersey Devil and might have perished on the spot but for Scully's timely intervention.
- Godiva Hair: The female Jersey Devil. It isn't clear how much Mulder saw, though, because he becomes very impressed by her during the brief time that she spends looming over him.
- I'm a Humanitarian: The Jersey Devils.
- The Jersey Devil: Unintentionally averted. The Jersey Devil legend is about a horribly mutated creature that stalks the Pine Barrens for food and looks like a mix between a horse and dog with bat wings. However, limitations in their first season budget probably account for their complete reworking of the legend.
- Nubile Savage: Mulder's first remark after being rescued from being eaten by the female Jersey Devil is: "She was beautiful!"
- Ping Pong Na´vetÚ: Mulder has shown himself to be smart in previous episodes, but complains when the Atlantic City police kill the Jersey Devil, saying "Why did you shoot her?" This is despite the fact that she was a CANNIBAL.
- Porn Stash: This is the first time Mulder is shown looking at inappropriate material. Perhaps unintentionally, the rest of the case involves him poring over several images of the female Jersey Devil note , and he ends up storing away two photographs of her dead body. Let's just hope that they aren't additions to his collection.