Recap: The X Files S 01 E 07 Ghost In The Machine
When the CEO of a technology company is found dead, suspicion turns to the founder of the company, whom the CEO was trying to force out. However, the true killer may be a little harder to put in handcuffs...
- AI Is A Crap Shoot: Played Straight. The Big Bad in this episode is the AI.
- Air-Vent Passageway: Scully tries to make her way through one to beat the technology, and is very nearly killed in the process.
- Artistic License – Linguistics: The speech pattern analysis for identifying Wilczek wouln't work. At all.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Number 1: Electrocution while trying to unlock a door (with a metal key). Number 2: Crushed in a falling elevator. Not good.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Brad Wilczek. He even made Mulder and Scully take off their shoes while they were in his residence.Wilczek: [in a cell sitting barefoot on a bed] They make me wear shoes all the time. What else do you want from me?
- The End... Or Is It?
- Expy: The COS is pretty clearly one for HAL 9000
- Haunted Technology: Not quite. It's got a mind of its own, that's all.
- I Just Want to Be You: Jerry explains that some of his Jerk Ass tendencies have to do with his jealousy of Mulder's superior skills as a proiler and agent.
- I Thought It Meant: No real relation with Ghost in the Shell.
- It's Personal: Once the AI kills Mulder's former partner.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Jerry Lamana steals Mulder's brilliant profile of the killer, and passes it off as his own. A few scenes later, he meets with his death in a falling elevator.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Brad Wilczek is most definitely NOT Steve Jobs. Ahem.
- Not even Steve Wozniak. No siree.
- Not Quite Dead: Looks like the AI might have survived the virus after all!
- One Head Taller: Agents' height difference is especially noticeable in the scene where Brad Wilczek asks them to remove their shoes and there are a few shots without the aid of anything to make up for it (no box, no high heels). Gillian Anderson looks positively tiny; she barely comes up to David Duchovny's shoulder.
- Stock Episode Titles: 21 uses.
- We Used to Be Friends: Mulder and his former partner, Jerry Lamana.