Recap / The X-Files S01 E23 "Roland"
A scientist has been murdered at the Mahan Propulsion Laboratory in Washington state, and the lone suspect is the janitor Roland Fuller. Problem: Roland has an IQ of about 70, and couldn't have performed the deed. Something else is going on, and Mulder and Scully are there to find out. Could it have something to do with Arthur Grable, a scientist at the laboratory who died in a car crash a few months earlier? After all, his head
was cryogenically preserved
, and he is Roland's twin brother…
- Brain in a Jar: Dr. Grable's head was preserved after his death.
- Character Title
- Evil Twin: Dr. Arthur Grable plays an actual evil twin to his good twin, Roland, using their Twin Telepathy to possess him and make him commit murders.
- Disability Superpower: Mulder theorizes that Dr. Grable's condition caused him to develop psychic abilities, most of all a telepathic link to his twin brother Roland.
- Human Popsicle: Dr. Grable, or rather, his head.
- Ice Breaker: Roland kills Dr. Keats by dunking his head in liquid nitrogen and letting his body fall to the ground, his head shattering on impact.
- Idiot Savant: Roland, thanks to his brother taking control of him.
- Improbably High I.Q.: Mostly an inversion of an Improbably Low IQ, as Roland is portrayed as someone with at least moderate disabilities (eg, can't operate door opening system, limited speech capabilities, passing the time in his group home with young child activities such as stickers), but is said by Scully to have an IQ of slightly above 70, which is in the borderline category like Forrest Gump, and he usually should be indistinguishable in everyday situations from everyone else. It is suggested that he has autism which could account for some of these factors as well as his head rolling, (though he doesn't have most autistic tendencies like problems with eye-contact), but the well-known tendency is for IQ tests to significantly underestimate IQ in people with autism.
- Turbine Blender: The death that opens the episode is of Roland locking Dr. Surnow in a wind tunnel and turning on the experimental jet turbine inside, sucking him in.
- Twin Telepathy: Between Roland Fuller and Dr. Arthur Grable.