Recap / The X-Files S01 E23 "Roland"
A scientist has been murdered at the Mahan Propulsion Laboratory in Washington state, and the lone suspect is the janitor Roland Fuller. Problem: Roland has an IQ of about 70, and couldn't have performed the deed. Something else is going on, and Mulder and Scully are there to find out. Could it have something to do with Arthur Grable, a scientist at the laboratory who died in a car crash a few months earlier? After all, his head
was cryogenically preserved
, and he is Roland's twin brother...
- Brain in a Jar: Dr. Grable's head was preserved after his death.
- Disability Superpower: Mulder theorizes that Dr. Grable's condition caused him to develop psychic abilities, most of all a telepathic link to his twin brother Roland.
- Human Popsicle: Dr. Grable.
- Idiot Savant: Roland.
- Literally Shattered Lives / Kill It with Ice: Roland kills Dr. Keats by dunking his head in liquid nitrogen and letting his body fall to the ground, his head shattering on impact.
- Plagiarism: Dr. Grable's colleagues took credit for his research after his death. This is his motivation for possessing Roland to kill them.
- Turbine Blender: The death that opens the episode is of Roland locking Dr. Surnow in a wind tunnel and turning on the experimental jet turbine inside, sucking him in.
- Twin Telepathy: Between Roland Fuller and Dr. Arthur Grable.